Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting-30/)
-   -   noise in subs (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting/10941-noise-in-subs.html)

95acurals 07-23-2002 11:34 AM

noise in subs

I have a problem with my system. I have 2 12" Kicker Comps with a mtx 275x amp. I've had the setup for about 5 years now. I can hear my engine through my subs. Whenever i rev the engine the subs make a whining sound. I have pretty thick monter wire. I don't know what gauge. Could it be a bad ground? Don't know much about electrical stuff. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks

smokedogg 07-23-2002 11:56 AM

you have what is known as "alternater whine" 9 times outta 10 its due to a bad ground. only thing that strikes me as odd, is that youve had the same setup for 5 years?

smokedogg 07-23-2002 11:57 AM

oh yeah, if u have changed anything at all in your car (electrically) let us know, that could give some insight

95acurals 07-23-2002 12:10 PM

I've only had it in this car for about 3 years. I did have an alarm installed about 2 years ago. Also, the subs used to be bridged. They sounded like crap and the subs would keep hitting even with the music paused. I finally unbridged them last weekend. It could have been making the alternator whine the whole time. I just never heard it.

smokedogg 07-23-2002 12:56 PM

hmm, i had that same exact problem w/ the bass hitting w/o any music, i would play the music, and they would start hitting and i would turn the volume all the way down and the subs wouldnt stop. that was shortly after my alternator whine problem.

to fix all this i went the expensive route, by getting my amp serviced, and getting a new HU. i also sanded the hell outta the metal where i had my amp grounded and checked all wiring making sure they wern't coming in contact w/ something they shouldnt.

so check your amp ground and power wires. if that don't work try hooking up a friends HU to your system and see if that works.

b00gers 07-23-2002 02:13 PM

are you sure the whine is coming from the subs, usually subs cant reproduce the whine since it plays only the lower freqs.

maybe your subs and amps are wearing out....5 years is pretty long life.

Fujiwara Takumi 07-23-2002 02:33 PM

unhook your subs, 9 o of ten its coming from your speakers. that ground wire might be loose, check the ground on your stereo as well.

this is whats normally referred to as a bad case of "VD" or "voltage drop"

LjN_728 07-23-2002 03:04 PM

I would have to suspect the same thing WiLL does...u kno cuz subs are at a lower frequency so it's kinda odd having engine whine coming from them. What else do you have hooked up. Driving lights or anything. Does the whine come on stronger at night when your headlights are on?

But yea...I wouldn't say 9 times out of 10 is the ground, unless u recently changed your battery or had an alternator check. But grounding would be the first thing to look at.

Back back to us with more info!!

EliteAccord 07-23-2002 03:44 PM

Its working:thumbup:

07-23-2002 04:46 PM

maybe you should update your system:rolleyes: