Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

alarm questions

Old 07-19-2002, 01:02 PM
steveng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alarm questions

since im gonna have my alarm installed very soon, i want to ask some questions i have just to make sure that i get all the gears.
ok first of all, do proxmity sensor and pressure sensor really work? i heard that if the proximity sensor being too sensitive, i would get false alarms all the time, like the sensor beeps when a car is parking next to you. but do i need it ? my second question is if i left my window open accidentilly and someone sees it and gets in, which sensor will be triggered?
Old 07-19-2002, 04:47 PM
integramodder

proximity sensors like the clifford's digital one are very good. A sensor and the rest of the alarm will be only as good as its install. and if your installer happens to be a total dumbass and turns the sensitivity all the way up, then yes, it will beep at everything. However, what you are talking about is a dual zone proximity sensor. in one stage it warms the person, if the person gets closer, it sets the alarm off. these are the best.

proximity sensors dont work through metals and things of that nature. most of them are mounted under/around the ebrake/gear shift on most cars. the proper way to set it up in my opinion, would be to make it churp if someone is really close to any of your front windows, and to make it go off if they reach into the car. This is done with the dual zone proximity sensors.

Others include tilt, motion, shock, glass, pin switches sensors and others. Ask your installer what will make the alarm sound for the system he will be installing on your car. then see if any scenario is left out. if one is, find a way to secure it.
Old 07-19-2002, 05:19 PM
steveng

aren't shock and glass sensors the same thing? is single zone proximity sensor just as good as dual zone? one last question is, what is motion sensor?
Old 07-19-2002, 05:22 PM
b00gers

motion sensor detects motion around your car....mine you can set the sensativity with will catch movement of branches if you park under a tree, to someone sticking their face against the window...

if it sense something, it will give off a warning.

shock sensors detects, shocks to the body of the car. glass sensors detects high freq noise like glass breaking.
Old 07-19-2002, 05:29 PM
steveng

so you are saying, the shock sensor won't be triggered by someone breaking my glass? and to me motion and proximity sensors are very similar. they churp when an object approaches ur car.
Old 07-19-2002, 05:32 PM
steveng

one last thing, if someone trying to steal my fog lights by ripping them off, will my alarm go off?
Old 07-19-2002, 09:53 PM
b00gers

ummm i can steal my old fog lights without setting off my alarm.

most likely itll trigger a warning from the shock, but since the shock sensor is probably on a solid part of the car, it wont feel the shock from the bumper moving.

i think motion and proximity sensors are the same thing. :dunno:
Old 07-19-2002, 10:32 PM
steveng

i just talked to the installer about those questions i mentioned above. yeah motion sensor is the same as proximity sensor. also he said that it's not nessacery to have glass sensor if i've had shock sensor cuz it's impossible to break the glass and not trigger the alarm. well so that's about it
Old 07-20-2002, 05:20 PM
Dunbar

That's not true, a (spring loaded) center punch can break glass without so much as nudging the car. A properly adjust shock sensor will not (and should not) catch this. The force is focused on a small point so that only a (relatively) small force is needed to shatter the glass. A little duct tape and you won't even hear it shatter. Get a prox sensor or a glass break sensor (glass break is cheaper.)
Old 07-20-2002, 07:21 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

The nice thing about the dual stage proxy sensor that clifford offers is that it is adjustable through the remote. it basically sets an invisible barrier around the car and if anyone or anything breaks the barrier, the alarm will sound, or at least give a warning that if you don't back up, the alarm will sound. that barrier can be adjusted if it is too big, through the remote. So sweet:thumbup:

Quick Reply: alarm questions