Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Calling all Alarm Experts

Old 10-16-2003, 04:11 PM
karyzmatique

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all Alarm Experts

I need some info or advice ASAP, please. I've got a Viper 300 series alarm installed on my 94 Accord Sedan LX. I've had it for about 6 years now, and not any problems, though it is a basic setup. Over the past few weeks, it seems like the brain has been dying on this thing. First it seems to have started messing with my door locks, ie: sometimes they would lock with the alarm and sometimes they wouldn't. Secondly, my parking lights quit blinking when the alarm was armed/disarmed, and now just a couple of days ago, I come out to my car after work, and I hear this low volume, repeated whining cycle siren from under the hood. I hit my remote to disarm the alarm and the sound spikes. Kind of like when the battery is really low or dead. However, I get in my car, and the battery is fine. I can't arm or disarm the alarm or anything, so right now in order to prevent my battery from dying, I've got the fuse to the alarm disconnected. Please, experts, I need some help....are the problems I'm having linked to the alarm brain, battery power, or possibly alternator. Let me know. Thanks :thumbup:
Old 10-23-2003, 02:52 PM
SOHKeg

sounds like your alarm is toast, take it to someone who knows what they're doing and they can tell you what the source of the problem is.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:15 PM
Spyfunkr

$20 says its the ground. If the ground is flaky, the unit will ground through your door triggers, or wherever it can, make poltergeist.

We had a Jaguar come in and say she was driving down the road at night, and the dome light started blinking and doors were locking/unlocking, wipers going. She was freaked out. -Bad ground. She said if we couldnt fix it, she was going to take it to the church to have an exorcist done LOL

-Spy
Old 10-24-2003, 09:11 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

That alarm is so easy to bypass it's not even funny. I had that alarm on my 89 Civic and it got stolen in less than a minute
Old 10-25-2003, 11:40 AM
toyman99

Its the ground to the siren

2 wires at the siren, red power and black ground. Reground it, most idiots ground the wire in the hood when there should be ONE ground for the siren AND the alarm INSIDE the car
Old 10-25-2003, 11:40 AM
toyman99

It can also be the siren, is it facing down? If the ground doesnt fix it, your siren is full of water or fried, tried changing that first.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:38 AM
jwiggins

Default Alarm

The low volume sound you hear from your siren is a bad ground on the brain using the siren ground for the alarm. This would also be the problem you are also having with the lights and door locks.

Since your alarm is very old, Viper offers an upgrade program. This offers you a brand new alarm at a discounted price, but the catch is you have to be the original owner of the alarm. Find a reputable authorized Viper dealer and check with them about it.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:17 AM
ALARMTEK

I agree with the folks here that told you it's a ground issue.
I also would make certain the voltage on the battery is constant,
and that if adding amps etc, that you also check the alternator
load too. But I believe as the others do, that the low, gutteral
tone from the siren means bad grounding, either at the siren
or for the sirens main ground. Go change those and see if that
makes a difference.

Luck.

ALARMTEK
www.12voltinstaller.com
Old 03-18-2004, 05:45 AM
john666
Drive it like u stole it.

Personally i think your alarm is toast,, better to get a new one then fix it.. dont want engine kill to work when your driving...
Old 03-18-2004, 05:59 AM
Spyfunkr

Repairing grounds is a lot cheaper than replacing an alarm. I've seen perfectly good $500 alarm systems doing the same thing with bad grounds.

Besides, this post is 6 months old, I'm betting the thread starter has figured something out by now.

Spy