Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

I should have used duct tape... the AI dash kit blows.

Old 07-18-2002, 06:20 PM
99IntegraGS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I should have used duct tape... the AI dash kit blows.

The American International dash kit (HON-K828) . In fact, I am so disappointed in it I'm going to write to them and tell them the following:

First, the dash kit doesn't match the color of my interior. It's supposed to be black, but the kit is actually charcoal gray.

Next, the dash kit (which has a place for the radio and the little pocket below) doesn't mount flush. From top to bottom it progressively protrudes from dash, so much so that the pocket ends up sticking out about a 3/8 of an inch. This will give me less room in my cup holder. Not to mention, the pocket is not as large as the stock pocket and is not large enough to hold my cell phone!

Finally, the no tools installation claim is bunk. In order to use it with a DIN type receiver I had to modify this kit with a jigsaw blade.

I'm going to write the company and tell them this and ask if model HON-K830 will exhibit the same qualities as the model I'm complaining about. If they want a happy customer, the only thing for them to do is send me the other kit free of charge.

The funny thing about this is, I scoffed at the webpages where guys showed how they installed their stereos in the dash of their Acura Integras. They used duct tape to mount the stereo cage to the stock pocket. I'm now wondering if this wasn't the best way to go?

Grrr...

BTW, the stereo sounds pretty damn good, even with the stock speakers. I can't wait to replace them with something better!
Old 07-18-2002, 06:26 PM
b00gers

good looking out. maybe they will refund your money or something.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:03 PM
Charged-GSR

sounds sucky I used a din sized pioneer DSP under my deck the integra will hold 2 din sized units but you do loose the handy storage/cell phone pocket
Old 07-20-2002, 09:43 AM
99IntegraGS

I was thinking about going the double-DIN route, but I just don't have the funds nor am I sure I want the Kenwood KGC-9044 EQ/crossover.

I'd really rather spend my money on a 4-channel amp for my front/rear mids and highs. In addition to needing more power for the mids and highs, I'd like to have a summed/non-fading input for my sub amp. The four channel amps I'm considering would allow me to run the front and rear line-outs from my head unit to the new amp, then give me a summed/non-fading line-out to run to my mono sub amp.

I need about 2 bills for the amp I want, then probably another $100 for wiring. After adding another amp, I would probably need to upgrade my power cable (from 8ga to 4ga), need 2 more sets of interconnects (one 15ft, the other roughly 3ft), a power distribution block, and probably 50-75ft of speaker cable.

I just don't have the money considering I wiped out my saving to get into my '99 Integra GS.

Oh well...