Notices

94 accord steering wheel wont center

Old 02-05-2012, 12:59 PM
planenut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 accord steering wheel wont center

I have a 94 Accord EX with 213k miles on it. I have replaced the rack and pinion 3 times. FIrst one leaked after a year, second one had excessive internal play in it, third one I went all out and bought a new (not reman) Honda OEM rack. Just mounted it last weekend. Took the car to get alligned and the steering wheel wont center after allignment! The tech told me the rack and pinion internals are bad. The car drives straight but the steering wheel is down to the right 30 degrees. It takes the same amount of turns (1 and a 1/2) to hit each stop on the rack. I replaced the steering wheel about 3 years ago, before replacing the rack the first time and they were able to get the car aligned on the last two racks I installed. Any ideas? Is there a drive test to check the rack internals? Any one have this issue before? Could it be that I didn't position the steering column correctly on the rack input shaft and i am off a tooth?
Old 02-22-2012, 01:59 PM
cruzalekz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

re check allignment. or you have a bad wheel bearing or a really really bad tie rod ends