Notices

From 4 lug to 5 lug

Old 05-27-2003, 06:40 PM
Stunna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From 4 lug to 5 lug

Okay I want 19-20 in wheels but I need to switch from 4 lug to 5. What hardware do I need to accomplish this? How hard to do yourself. What's the cost? Oh the car is a 99 sedan.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:04 PM
OffDuty

First off a 19 or 20" wheel will look ridiculous on the car and there is not a tire size that you can acommodate on the car (at least for a 20")

Not to mention they will be heavy as hell & take away from handling & braking capability. :doh:
Old 05-28-2003, 12:19 PM
decibel_dj

first off 19's on a 6th gen dont look bad. some1 on here had a blue 6th gen coupe on 19's and it looked bad ass. secondly handling and braking are easily correct. not to mention if he had 19's he couldnt go that fast in the 1st place which would make his braking tht much easier
Old 05-28-2003, 12:42 PM
AcsRcool
Faster than your Geo

Originally posted by decibel_dj
first off 19's on a 6th gen dont look bad. some1 on here had a blue 6th gen coupe on 19's and it looked bad ass. secondly handling and braking are easily correct. not to mention if he had 19's he couldnt go that fast in the 1st place which would make his braking tht much easier
First off, this is a bad conversion to do in the first place, unless you replace the whole axle, the hardware is unreliable at best and difficult to find and purchase to boot. An extension for your wheelhub which would allow a 5 lug conversion does exist i believe, but it would extend your wheels out another inch or so severely limiting the wheel and tire sizes you can choose.

As for the notion that braking would be easier, that is pure nonsense. Once your car has stopped accelerating and begins to decelerate, you rely on the force of the brake pads on the rotors or drum to stop the vehicle.

Lets call this force F. The force F puts a torque on the spinning wheel opposite the direction that its moving. This torque has a magnitude Fr = T where r is the radial distance between the wheel hub and brake pads. This force is opposed by the angular momentum p of the spinning wheel which is given by p = Iw where I is the moment of inertia of the spinning wheel and w is the angular velocity of the wheel (which is just the speed times the radius of the wheel from hub to tire). The force which is applied to stop this rotation is related to the change in momentum over the change in time.

The moment of inertia I is determined by some integral given the shape of the wheel but the most important figure in that calculation is the wheel mass. A greater wheel mass will translate to a greater moment of inertia which will translate to a greater angular momentum given some speed. Therefore a greater force will be needed to slow the system down. Since the braking force will be more or less constant regardless of the wheel size, it will take that force a longer time to slow down a heavier wheel. Combine this with the forward motion of the vehicle chassis and you'll find that braking is indeed impaired by a bigger wheel.

Go physics :fawk:
Old 05-28-2003, 02:25 PM
Mr Hyde
Accord Forum Moderator

20's wont fit without rubbing, and the hastle involved is pretty sizeable. Spacers would pretty much be out since I doubt you;d find a 19 inch wheel with an offset high enough to prevent rubbing.

As far as replacing the axle goes, you are talking serious money, and I think it would be way cheaper and easier to get a 4 lug 19 inch rim in the first place.

If you really want to do the swap, look in a junk yard for a 6th gen V-6 as a parts car, and be prepared for alot of work.

AcsRcool is dead on about braking, but another thing to factor in is the better stopping you get from the usual high performance rubber mounted on plus size rims.

The TL-S / The 540i
Old 05-28-2003, 03:54 PM
bdeitemeyer
Brad

wrong...the 6th gen accord wheel can accomodate 20 inch wheels nicely. i've seen it done by at least half a dozen 6th gen accord owners with no custom fabrication or modification necessary.

if you're wanting to switch to 5 lug, you're only chance is buying v6 brake assemblies or jdm/euro accord type r assemblies...good luck.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:40 AM
TypeSH

check if the 6th gen V6 knuckles/bearings are the same size as the 4 cylinders. If they are, simply swap the V6 5-lug hubs onto your bearings, along w/ the rotors and matching caliper/brackets and there you go. 5 lug conversion.

and... speed is probably not limited by his wheel size... bigger/heavier wheels would probably cause him to accelerate slower, taking longer to reach speed, but it doesnt keep him from driving fast.... and conversely, i believe heavier wheels would increase stopping distances? not to mention having like no sidewall isn't a nice thing either... do 19/20 inch low profile tires even support enough weight to safely hold up the car???
Old 05-29-2003, 07:03 AM
decibel_dj

if you want to do the conversion to a 5lug system hope you have the cash and a donor vechile to start from. i'm guessing one of the acura CL's or TL's (not sure which gen though) would be the host for your swap. please dont do the adapter cap. many of those fail (snap off) causing more harm than good.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:05 AM
decibel_dj

Originally posted by AcsRcool
........Go physics :fawk:
thank you for the physics leason not that i needed (have degree in engineering) so please next time when u see realize the person is probably joking (like in my case) and not include them in your post h: :fawk: j/k
Old 05-29-2003, 07:17 AM
BlackChrome
E46/CD5

I don't know about 20's.

There si this 7th gen Sedan arond my area with CHROME 20's. I thought they are way too big!