Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Accord (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/accord-5/)
-   -   Car wax , rim cleaner info (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/accord/69598-car-wax-rim-cleaner-info.html)

DownLowAcc 05-14-2003 09:07 PM

Originally posted by DJ Scotty
Hey Down Low,

I have heard about putting wax on the wheels....a friend of mine told me about this....I have the stock aluminum 16's on my 99 Accord...would putting wax on em make them shine even better after a wash, or do I also need the Mothers wheel polisher? I used to just spray on the Quicksilver s***it....

No..Mothers Carnuba wax for the body and I use Mothers aluminum wax/polish for wheels. They'll turn out like Jschmidt's ...like new.

DJ Scotty 05-15-2003 06:56 AM

Wow, with all these suggestions, I think Im just gonna use soap and water on the rims and good old fashioned elbow grease, which is what I usually do! The stock rims shine up pretty nice with the car wash soap anyway; the clear coated finish on them gets shiny with just the car wash stuff...

AcuraFanatic 05-15-2003 08:16 AM

I use Zaino or Mother's Wax (depending on what I have in the garage...usually Zaino). I use Finish2000 Car Soap.

Soap is soap guys, the only variations it may have is the level of protection it has against "de-greasing" or removing the wax from your car.

Wheel cleaner I use professional strength wheel acid. Forget the company, but my friend hooks me up with this stuff. Spray on, rinse off, and the wheels are wicked clean.

AcuraFanatic 05-15-2003 08:21 AM

Interesting note, this upcoming weekend I am beginning the absolute largest assault on cleanliness and perfection on the car.

Steps are as follows:

1) Use dish detergent soap to remove all wax when washing car.
2) Dry with chamoi.
3) Claybar the entire cars surface (Mother's claybar)
4) Wet sand with 2000, 2500 and 3000 grit sandpaper by hand (will take several hours).
5) Re-wash car and rinse well.
6) Heat can of wax by flame (makes the wax really adhere to the paint when it's warm and the paint is cold) and apply three coats.
7) Polish the paint with polisher and buff with orbital buffer.
8) Seal the paint.
9) Clean everything else (shampoo and steam clean the interior, clean the wheels, door jams, underhood, etc.)

I'll take pictures. It'll be at least a two day fiasco...depends how much time I spend wet sanding.

DJ Scotty 05-15-2003 08:25 AM

I gotta tell y'all, just from personal experience, soap has not been just soap----I have used stuff that makes the car look like Steve Buscemi's ass when its done---that aint good...since switching to Gliptone Wash N Glow, I have seen dramatic results in difference...the San Marino Red paint seems to come alive and look awesome when Im done with the Gliptone treatment---the other soaps I have used never got the car to the same level of shine to be honest.

DJ Scotty 05-15-2003 08:27 AM

Originally posted by AcuraFanatic
I use Zaino or Mother's Wax (depending on what I have in the garage...usually Zaino). I use Finish2000 Car Soap.

Soap is soap guys, the only variations it may have is the level of protection it has against "de-greasing" or removing the wax from your car.

Wheel cleaner I use professional strength wheel acid. Forget the company, but my friend hooks me up with this stuff. Spray on, rinse off, and the wheels are wicked clean.

Fanatic,

Just a quick question....why would you want to remove the wax from your car? Unless you were just saying that certain car wash soaps differ in how they strip the wax from a car....

AcuraFanatic 05-15-2003 08:28 AM

Maybe "Gliptone" is different, but from everything I've tried they've all been the same.

Where can I get this "Gliptone" soap?

pringle 05-15-2003 08:28 AM

Originally posted by AcuraFanatic

6) Heat can of wax by flame (makes the wax really adhere to the paint when it's warm and the paint is cold) and apply three coats.
7) Polish the paint with polisher and buff with orbital buffer.

uh.. the polish will remove all 3 layers of your wax

AcuraFanatic 05-15-2003 08:30 AM

Originally posted by DJ Scotty
Fanatic,

Just a quick question....why would you want to remove the wax from your car? Unless you were just saying that certain car wash soaps differ in how they strip the wax from a car....

I remove all the wax from the car about once a year. It's good practice, it helps the new stuff sit better on the clearcoat.

Dishwashing soap and/or claybar will do this. Dishwashing soap is bad to use otherwise because it has de-greasing agents that will break down the wax on your car. But it's good if that's what you want it to do. :)

AcuraFanatic 05-15-2003 08:31 AM

Originally posted by pringle
uh.. the polish will remove all 3 layers of your wax
:slap: It's not in order, I listed them off quickly. Sorry. :oh: