Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Accord (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/accord-5/)
-   -   A guess on power gain? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/accord/67411-a-guess-on-power-gain.html)

pirate252 05-05-2003 11:30 AM

A guess on power gain?

I have a 94' EX accord, and it has vtec, but im mad cuz it only has a SOHC. So i want to upgrade the exsaut and intake, to help with the lack of a second cam and the missing 8 valves, but i don't have enough money for a full catback system right now so how much of a power gain could i expect from a AEM short ram intake, and a throttle body spacer, i cant remeber the brand of the spacer of the top of my head, but it has the grooves in it to spin the air so yeah, that sounds like it might do SOMTHING ;)

Also what else does the throttle body spacer do besides spin the air? DOesnt it give you a more senitive accelorator? I cant remeber.

Matt

DownLowAcc 05-05-2003 12:06 PM

Re: A guess on power gain?

Originally posted by pirate252
Also what else does the throttle body spacer do besides spin the air? DOesnt it give you a more senitive accelorator? I cant remeber.

Matt

You dont mean the TORNADO do you?
you might expect 5 hp at the most

pirate252 05-05-2003 12:08 PM

No, ill find it when i get home, but thats not it, i dont think, but 5, thats it..crap

BlackChrome 05-05-2003 01:04 PM

Re: A guess on power gain?

I have a 94' EX accord, and it has vtec, but im mad cuz it only has a SOHC. So i want to upgrade the exsaut and intake, to help with the lack of a second cam and the missing 8 valves...
Huh? Missing 8 valves???

Don't waste your money on that. My local RSX board put one on a RSX and dynoed it and it made NO difference!

pirate252 05-06-2003 08:04 AM

Re: Re: A guess on power gain?

Originally posted by BlackChrome
[B]Huh? Missing 8 valves???

Im just complaining cuz i wish i had a DOHC, since i have a SOHC i am missing 8 valves that i want, im not ACTUALLY missing them...

BlackChrome 05-06-2003 09:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: A guess on power gain?

Im just complaining cuz i wish i had a DOHC, since i have a SOHC i am missing 8 valves that i want, im not ACTUALLY missing them...
You aren't making any sense because the F22 (SOHC), F23 (DOHC), and H22(DOHC) all have 16 valves.:confused:

AccordSleeper 05-06-2003 12:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: A guess on power gain?

Originally posted by BlackChrome
You aren't making any sense because the F22 (SOHC), F23 (DOHC), and H22(DOHC) all have 16 valves.:confused:
:werd:

what your missing is a second cam.

90AccordEX4 05-06-2003 03:23 PM

There is nothing wrong with SOHC engines... You should thank Honda because it is saving you money because it costs less to produce. The only drawback is that it typically can't rev as high as a DOHC engine. This is why most SOHC engines are designed to produce more torque and make their power at lower RPM's. Hell my beater F22 makes as much torque as the beloved H22, just not quite as much power because it can't rev as high (hp is a function of engine speed in case you forgot). And hey my CL has a SOHC and it sure as hell isn't slow!

Make sure to buy a COLD-AIR-INTAKE. Common gains for a short ram are 5-9hp & 3-5ft.lbs. COLD-AIR intakes produce 19-20hp & ~5 ft-lbs. (data from May 2003 Import Tuner on an RSX-S). Oh and don't waste your money on the spacer. I had mine bored out for cheap and THAT made a difference.

Fred Cook 05-06-2003 05:39 PM

The F23 is not DOHC, it's SOHC!

BlackChrome 05-06-2003 08:40 PM

Originally posted by Fred Cook
The F23 is not DOHC, it's SOHC!
I meant to type "H23"!:oh: