Notices

1997 Accord 4-cyl EX -- O2 sensor problem

Old 09-10-2010, 06:02 AM
scr8991

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Accord 4-cyl EX -- O2 sensor problem

So I went to AutoZone to get my car diagnosed to find out why my check engine light is on and they said it was -- Secondary HO2S12 (Heated Oxygen Sensor - Bank 1 Sensor 2) circuit heater malfunction. Now, I'm not a huge car expert by any means and I am not really sure where to start looking for this. They said it might be either an open or short circuit (which I don't know how to fix) a poor electrical connection (which I probably don't know how to fix) or just a faulty HO2S12 in Bank 1 Sensor 2 (which I definitely do not know how to fix). So ANY help would be greatly appreciated. I'm just a college kid looking for a way to make my car last a little longer. If anyone has any advice on this topic or anything else please feel free to post. Thanks.

~scr8991
Old 09-17-2010, 06:34 PM
manolo-81

Hey scr8991

I'm no car expert either but here's what you can do. First the O2 sensor is located in the exhaust manifold. You'll know because this sensor is screwed into the side about half-way down the manifold. Once you find it check to see the the wiring harness coming from the sensor is securely connected. Also, check to see if the wires are frayed or damaged in any way. This may cause the check engine light to come on. There may be (but not always) another O2 sensor located underneath the car on the exhaust manifold just before the catalytic converter, check for the same problems here. You can try buying a new O2 sensor and installing it yourself. It's not too difficult.

BE CAREFUL...The exhaust manifold gets extremely hot so wait till the car cools down somewhat before removing the sensor.

1. Remove the neg. battery cable (if you have a factory radio make sure you have the activation code before doing this)
2. Carefully disconnect the electrical connector from the sensor
3. Carefully unscrew the sensor from the exhaust manifold
4. The new sensor should have anti-seize compound on it, if not, pick-up a pack at Auto Zone
5. Install the sensor and tighten it securely
6. Reconnect the electrical connector to the wiring harness along with the neg. battery cable
7. Start the car and allow the engine to warm up (the ECM will not react to the sensor signal until the sensor reaches about 600 deg. F)

Hopefully the check engine light will not come back on.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:50 PM
scr8991

hey thanks so much i appreciate the help. im probably gonna work on it tomorrow morning. i really do appreciate the advice.