Notices

2000 honda Accord Ex v6 Alternator

Old 08-07-2007, 10:02 AM
orgits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 honda Accord Ex v6 Alternator

I need to replace my alternator! Does anyone have the steps to do this easily and right?
Old 08-07-2007, 05:24 PM
foot

Remove the passenger side cooling fan. Then remove the belt, remove the alternator. Replace all removed parts. Don't forget to disconnect the battery first...
Old 08-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Honda99

Default alternator

Hope all goes well. I have a 99, and had alternator replaced last year, acting up again last month, had replaced (under warranty), still acting up(red lights on dashboard blinking on and off, battery light, emerg brake light, and all doors open lights-so just had another put in, and still doing it. All belts checked out ok-must be something electrical (had computer reset)-don't know - is a pain in the butt-best of luck to you
Dawn
Old 08-07-2007, 10:05 PM
orgits

Default Then remove the belt

how do I loosen the belt? My car does not have a diagram showing which is the tensioner.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:33 PM
orgits

Default I found how to loosen the belt.... but

I found how to loosen the belt.... but I cant seem to get any of my wrenches or sockets onto the lower bolt holding the alternator on. There does not appear to be enough room to get a wrench on it and then to swing the wrench to unscrew the bolt. Any suggestions?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:09 PM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

Originally Posted by orgits
I found how to loosen the belt.... but I cant seem to get any of my wrenches or sockets onto the lower bolt holding the alternator on. There does not appear to be enough room to get a wrench on it and then to swing the wrench to unscrew the bolt. Any suggestions?
I did it from under the car. Jack it up, put on a socket and breaker bar for leverage. Once it's cranked back, remove the loose belt (had a buddy take it off while I loosened it). Should be able to reach everything from the top or under the car with the proper tools, ie extentions, ratchets, etc....
Old 08-08-2007, 02:51 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orgits
Honestly, if you can't figure this out then you have no business messing with your car. You can probably get it from the bottom, but I got everything from the top with extensions.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:48 PM
foot

I simply used a socket and my ratchet. No exotic tools are needed to do this job. Just a bit of imagination. The biggest bit of advice is be careful not to hit the radiator cooling fins with anything while the fan is out. It is easy to drag the alternator or a tool across the rad and damage it. Also, if you put a piece of cardboard or something on the rad to protect it, don't forget to remove it!