Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Accord (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/accord-5/)
-   -   P0420 Code AGAIN!!! (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/accord/206101-p0420-code-again.html)

totalimmortal 04-18-2007 05:32 PM

Yes, not a good start...

You, sir, had the tone from the beginning. The thread was long dead untill you decided to be on the attack. Go police somewhere else...

big2000dave 04-19-2007 04:11 AM

OEM service manual or Haynes?

Originally Posted by totalimmortal (Post 3100162)
Good job bringing a thread back from last year, moron.

<disappointed smiley here>Seems that your 'moron' comment is excusable around here. Though it was not directed toward me, i thought it was a bit tacky. Hey, but it's your opinion. I would hope that all opinions are treated on equal ground round here. Anyway, hello to all. This forum seems to be filled with great amounts of information. I own an 01' Civic LX and 98' Accord EX. I'm wanting to DIY and learn more about my Hondas. This seems like a great start. .....Off the sub. would anyone preferably use a genuine Honda service manual over a Haynes?

totalimmortal 04-19-2007 06:38 AM

You have 4 posts, you've been here all of 2 days. You need to stop acting like a 3 year old, the comment wasn't even directed at you. Are you done attacking n00b??

You don't need anything more than a Haynes for basic/intermediate repair work.

skabone69 04-19-2007 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by big2000dave (Post 3464718)
<disappointed smiley here>Seems that your 'moron' comment is excusable around here. Though it was not directed toward me, i thought it was a bit tacky. Hey, but it's your opinion. I would hope that all opinions are treated on equal ground round here. Anyway, hello to all. This forum seems to be filled with great amounts of information. I own an 01' Civic LX and 98' Accord EX. I'm wanting to DIY and learn more about my Hondas. This seems like a great start. .....Off the sub. would anyone preferably use a genuine Honda service manual over a Haynes?

well the way it usually works is that your have a little respect and you have an open mind and you just absorb as much information as you can and you also use the search button and read all the post. If you would have read my post you could have tried that and you would have never have to post up and cause a flame war. If you like to pick fights online go make a few post in the the basement and see how warmly they welcome you.:rolleyes:

totalimmortal 04-19-2007 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by skabone69 (Post 3464827)
well the way it usually works is that your have a little respect and you have an open mind and you just absorb as much information as you can and you also use the search button and read all the post. If you would have read my post you could have tried that and you would have never have to post up and cause a flame war. If you like to pick fights online go make a few post in the the basement and see how warmly they welcome you.:rolleyes:

:lmfao: i would love to see it!

big2000dave 04-19-2007 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by totalimmortal (Post 3464830)
:lmfao: i would love to see it!

I bet you would. Both of you are funny dudes aren't you? :ghey:
It's interesting how you defend each others comments and discredit mine since i'm a "noob" and obviously know nothing. What, im i joining the Saprano's or something. Hey Immoral, you seem to be the pot calling the kettle black with the "moron" and "noob" name calling. Now that is funny :D. Warm welcomes are great. Thanks guys. :thumbup:

civic401 04-19-2007 12:55 PM

Check to see if you have any vac leaks. For example if you're intake manifold gasket is leaking and you're getting more air then normal your O2 will pick up it up and throw a code for your cat not working.

totalimmortal 04-19-2007 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by big2000dave (Post 3465235)
It's interesting how you defend each others comments and discredit mine since i'm a "noob" and obviously know nothing. What, am I joining the Sopranos or something. Hey Immortal, you seem to be the pot calling the kettle black with the "moron" and "noob" name calling. Now that is funny :D. Warm welcomes are great. Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Fixed. If you're going to try and insult me, spell correctly next time.

big2000dave 04-19-2007 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by totalimmortal (Post 3465567)
Fixed. If you're going to try and insult me, spell correctly next time.

:sleep: Now we're getting desperate. Spell checking is a last resort on Internet forums Immoral. What's important here is that you understood me in my last post. Sometimes actions are better understood than words, as miscommunication can result in misunderstandings. Right? So, let's hope you don't have to spell check this. :db:

skabone69 04-20-2007 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by big2000dave (Post 3465235)
It's interesting how you defend each others comments and discredit mine since i'm a "noob" and obviously know nothing. What, im i joining the Saprano's or something. Hey Immoral, you seem to be the pot calling the kettle black with the "moron" and "noob" name calling. Now that is funny :D. Warm welcomes are great. Thanks guys. :thumbup:

your missing the overall point, you know nothing but yet you act like a pompus dick, and on top of that you can't read the whole thread. Like I stated before if you would have read the post I made about a year ago you could have tried that to solve your problem. Why don't you address your own problem that you can't read and absorb information that is right in front of you? Reading comprehension >>>>> you

big2000dave 04-20-2007 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by skabone69 (Post 3466558)
your missing the overall point, you know nothing but yet you act like a pompus dick, and on top of that you can't read the whole thread. Like I stated before if you would have read the post I made about a year ago you could have tried that to solve your problem. Why don't you address your own problem that you can't read and absorb information that is right in front of you? Reading comprehension >>>>> you

That looks like a crap fix; a cover up to a real issue. If your cat is going out, why would you want to trick the ecu rather than replace the real issue at hand? That seems like a great idea as its cheap and you probably don't have to worry about your cat going out for several thousand miles at the early stages. It also relieves you of the annoying service engine light, but a bad part is a bad part and it will come back to haunt you later, right? And yes, i do realize that cats take some time to hinder or incapacitate your vehicle. I'm the first to admit that i'm far from an expert on Honda's, but explain to me how this gets you BETTER gas milege, assuming that your cat is getting fudged up and needs replacing soon? By the way, i did read the thread and dismissed it as being another craptaculous fix that is sure to bite you in the ass later down the line. I'de like to see some testimonials of long-term use ;). F U Mr. o2 Sensor! I will blind fold dat @zz and tell the ecu you're really doing A OK. :bs:

xXTidusXx 04-21-2007 05:03 AM

what do you guys think of high flow cats from OBX and magnaflow? do they really have much impact?

skabone69 04-21-2007 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by big2000dave (Post 3466729)
That looks like a crap fix; a cover up to a real issue. If your cat is going out, why would you want to trick the ecu rather than replace the real issue at hand? That seems like a great idea as its cheap and you probably don't have to worry about your cat going out for several thousand miles at the early stages. It also relieves you of the annoying service engine light, but a bad part is a bad part and it will come back to haunt you later, right? And yes, i do realize that cats take some time to hinder or incapacitate your vehicle. I'm the first to admit that i'm far from an expert on Honda's, but explain to me how this gets you BETTER gas milege, assuming that your cat is getting fudged up and needs replacing soon? By the way, i did read the thread and dismissed it as being another craptaculous fix that is sure to bite you in the ass later down the line. I'de like to see some testimonials of long-term use ;). F U Mr. o2 Sensor! I will blind fold dat @zz and tell the ecu you're really doing A OK. :bs:

its a crap fix but yet there are a ton of people that do it on their imports not just hondas. I've had the O2 defouler on my car for over 3 years without a problem, and I still get about 380-400 miles on a tank of gas it odviously doesn't work.:rolleyes:

totalimmortal 04-21-2007 07:55 AM

It works just fine, I've ran it for sometime. The cat isn't "blocked" persay, just not removing hydrocarbons and such as it should. That's what the o2 sensor is telling you, not that it's blocked in any way. I could care less if the catalyst is working in there.

I've been running mine for over a year, no problems. I don't even have a cat and it works fine. Skabone and I know our head from our ass when it comes Honda's, Accords specifically.

big2000dave 04-21-2007 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by skabone69 (Post 3467027)
its a crap fix but yet there are a ton of people that do it on their imports not just hondas. I've had the O2 defouler on my car for over 3 years without a problem, and I still get about 380-400 miles on a tank of gas it odviously doesn't work.:rolleyes:

Do imports' cats differ from say a chevy cat? My wife had a 96 s10 blazer and a couple of years ago we had to replace the cat, not because it was throwing a code, but because it got to the point where the cat was so fouled up, that it took almost all power away from the engine. We had no choice but to change it. Are you telling me that your defouler trick would have fixed my Blazer?

totalimmortal 04-21-2007 09:17 AM

We're saying the problem with the 6th gen Accords isn't the cat getting plugged, but the catalyst wearing out. THE 02 SENSOR HAS NO WAY OF KNOWING THE CAT IS PHYSICALLY PLUGGED, IT JUST SAMPLES SPENT EXHAUST GAS.

If your cat plugged up, you had a different problem.

big2000dave 04-27-2007 06:22 PM

After all the bickering, im accually considering the defouler thing. <good voice> must preserve environment.....must make al gore happy </good voice> <bad voice> who give a $*i+, you won't have to spend hundreds on another cat and we're all going to parish anyway</bad voice> :noes:

totalimmortal 04-27-2007 07:31 PM

You'll come to find out we know a thing or two:)

big2000dave 04-28-2007 04:19 AM

I don't deny that by any means. :D No sarcasm included :p

tattery202 08-29-2007 07:14 AM

scabone and totalmoron, I just registered to say you guys are unbelievable. Totalmoron took the conversation down with his moron comment and although dave could have expressed it better, he was only trying to bring it back up to a more mature level. I'm impressed with the way he eventually resolved the conflict and I'm sure you two are breaking your arms patting yourselves on the back for your knowledge of cars. I don't give a $hit how much you know about cars, it doesn't give you the right to berate people for trying to help.

Go ahead and reply to this message, I won't be back to see what 12 year old response you'll have. I'll be spending my time on forums with the adults.:D

profuse007 08-31-2007 06:40 AM

or search for o2 simulator on ebay, it looks something like that. you dont have to do no drillin or such. cost 11bucks shipped. used it and itworks 100%, got rid of the engine light and passed emission.

btw, I need a pair of fog light cover for 01-02 coupe accord and H-emblem on grill

skabone69 08-31-2007 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by tattery202 (Post 3611720)
scabone and totalmoron, I just registered to say you guys are unbelievable. Totalmoron took the conversation down with his moron comment and although dave could have expressed it better, he was only trying to bring it back up to a more mature level. I'm impressed with the way he eventually resolved the conflict and I'm sure you two are breaking your arms patting yourselves on the back for your knowledge of cars. I don't give a $hit how much you know about cars, it doesn't give you the right to berate people for trying to help.

Go ahead and reply to this message, I won't be back to see what 12 year old response you'll have. I'll be spending my time on forums with the adults.:D

nice first post, way to bring a thread back from the dead. I'm glad your contributing to the board with something that actually relates to this thread.:rolleyes:

MaxRL 01-06-2009 06:25 PM

Not to jump on an old thread but I was driving down 95 today and suddenly in my Acura (RL) the same P0420 code popped up and the check engine light came on-- along with a check emissions warning.

I have 77K on this car-- just wondering if the common workaround for this was the replace the Catalytic converter in your cars? I know we may have different vehicles-- but under the same Honda family, the architecture of these cars are still the same in may ways...just trying to see if I may need to make sure the CAT gets replaced by 80K

Accord1278 01-12-2009 12:49 PM

I had the same exact problem...here's my original post...

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/a...ode-p0420.html

And here's my update:

Update:

The check engine light cleared itself!! Turned off yesterday as I was driving. I basically didn't do anything except that I put in a bottle of Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner and let the gas tank run almost empty before filling up again. I didn't do any resets, didn't pull any breakers, didn't disconnect the battery, didn't replace the cat or the O2 sensors, etc. This time I made sure the cap was on there securely and heard a few clicks, because the person pumping the gas just threw it on without a single click. I drove it for about 50 miles before the CEL extinguished. I did step on the pedal like once or twice and had the throttle wide open for a few seconds while driving.

:bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:

Haunless 05-28-2009 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Accord1278 (Post 4197064)
I had the same exact problem...here's my original post...

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/a...ode-p0420.html

And here's my update:

Update:

The check engine light cleared itself!! Turned off yesterday as I was driving. I basically didn't do anything except that I put in a bottle of Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner and let the gas tank run almost empty before filling up again. I didn't do any resets, didn't pull any breakers, didn't disconnect the battery, didn't replace the cat or the O2 sensors, etc. This time I made sure the cap was on there securely and heard a few clicks, because the person pumping the gas just threw it on without a single click. I drove it for about 50 miles before the CEL extinguished. I did step on the pedal like once or twice and had the throttle wide open for a few seconds while driving.

:bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:

Just joined to see if I can find out why there is such a problem with all these Hondas reporting cats not working etc - I tried the injector cleaner trick and the warning light went out for a couple of weeks then came back on...

So I got the O2 sensor cleaned out (some gunk came out of the middle of it) and...the light went out again! Just driving it to see if this is a proper solution - I'll be back...

wienee 06-05-2009 11:57 AM

Cat code for 2.3L 1998 EX

I have the P0420 code also but I have noticed a slight loss of power and a 2-3 mpg loss. Since the P0420 code can indicate a faulty Catalytic converter or corresponding O2 sensors, is the decrease in fuel economy more indicative of a faulty O2 sensor prior to the Cat converter since it helps determines the proper fuel to air mixture?