Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'91 Accord Auto Seat Belt - Please Help!!

Old 04-29-2005, 07:17 AM
PaulMcNeil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '91 Accord Auto Seat Belt - Please Help!!

I have two problems?

1.) About 2 weeks ago I started getting the beeping alarm and flashing light on the dash. Belt was being worn! (This will drive any sane person to the funny farm if it's a long drive.)

2.) Then problem #2 developed. Belt on driver side wouldn't retract.

Took it to Honda Dealership as they had told me seat belt is warranted. They appeared to not have a clue. Near closing time, got a call from them stating door latch mechanism is bad, and that is costly ($287.00) and NOT covered by warranty, cuz that's really not the belts --- it's just not sending the proper signals to the belt. (I didn't really believe them. The vibes are they don't know anything about anything if it's an electrical problem.)

After I left the dealership the driver side belt started retracting all by itself! (problem #2 correcting itself)

So, now I'm back to the original problem.... belts work, but being driven insane by constant alarm and beeping.

Finally to my question(s?) :

Anyone know where this beeping is coming from.... it seems nearly impossible to localize it! If I can't fix it, I want to cut it out!

Also, is there a relay somewhere associated with all of this?
Old 04-29-2005, 10:58 AM
fac90

I have a 90 Accord, but never experienced this problem. Take a look at the manual for the wiring. Perhaps, disconnect the seat belt from the latch and reconnect. It could be the latch sensor on the seatbelt. I will look at the manual and see what it can be. In the mean time, just put the radio on to override the beeping sound!
Old 04-29-2005, 04:51 PM
scanrps
Honda Parts Tech

I think their right about the switch, but I still feel this should be
covered under the warranty. Ether try another dealer, or call Honda
customer relations (# in owners manual). I will double check with our service
adviser tomorrow to see if I'm right.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:42 AM
PaulMcNeil

Hey guys --

I think this is fixed! The alarm went quiet after I sprayed contact cleaner into the seat belt latch on the passenger side, and then connected, disconnected, connected, disconnected.... etc... (exercising the switch contacts)... Thank You Very Much!
Old 05-01-2005, 05:22 PM
accord7179

Default heres some help

my 92 did the samething i cut the wires in door panel
Old 05-01-2005, 10:36 PM
scanrps
Honda Parts Tech

Originally Posted by accord7179
my 92 did the samething i cut the wires in door panel
92 didn't have auto belts, just 90 and 91. Cutting wires is not the answer
when your safety is involved.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:26 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scanrps
Cutting wires is not the answer when your safety is involved.
Especially when the seatbelts are warrantied 'for the life of the vehicle'...
Old 05-25-2005, 07:08 AM
bamachem
1990 Accord EX Coupe 5-Sp

same thing on my 90 EX coupe.

i called the dealer, they said no way.

i called honda, they said yes, it was covered and to take it in.

called the dealer back, made the appointment for yesterday afternoon to drop it off. got there, they said no way again. they needed an authorization number to even consider doing it under the lifetime safety equipment warranty. spent 30min on the phone w/ a ditz at honda customer relations and in the end had to take the car back home. they opened a "case" with the warranty department to determine whether it would be covered or not. i should know something later today on if it would be covered or not...
Old 06-01-2005, 01:00 PM
bamachem
1990 Accord EX Coupe 5-Sp

UPDATE:

honda customer relations opened a "case" and referred it to the regional customer service representative. she looked up the info on the 90/91 accord warranties for the supplemental restraint systems and decided that no matter what the root cause was, honda would cover all costs to determine what was wrong w/ the seatbelt mechanism and replace whatever was needed to get them to function properly again.

i dropped off the accord yesterday evening. i just got a call a few minutes ago and they figured out what it was and ordered the part overnight, so it should be back together in one piece tomorrow afternoon.

it's nice to know that they'll still cover stuff like this w/ a 16-yr-old car that has 263+ thousand miles. i guess it may have also helped that i was curteous at all times with the customer relations people and that this is my 4th accord and my 7th honda/acura vehicle overall.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:42 AM
musicfrisk

Default hey

Ive got the same problem on a 91 Integra, can you tell me exactly what you refferred to and how you managed this miracle?

posting your case number might be a big help.