Notices

CV axle/strut question on a 96 Accord

Old 10-01-2017, 11:48 AM
GlennH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV axle/strut question on a 96 Accord

Hoping the experts out there can help me. I haven't done any suspension work on a Honda before.

I need to replace the CV boots, so the axles have to come out. I'm don't know how the suspension is set up, but would it be easier to also take out the and replace the struts while I have the axles out or is this two completely separate projects?

Just to help clarify my question. I have to take the axles out to replace the CV boots. The CV bearing is in great shape. My question is, is it easier to also take out and replace the struts since I have to take the axles out anyway or would removing the struts and removing the axles be considered two completely separate projects?

Also, my 96 Accord only has 61k miles and I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to change out the struts at this time. Do you know how many miles the original struts on a 5th generation Accord should last?

I really appreciate any advice you have.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:46 PM
ChrisS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m pretty sure you have to pull the strut before you can remove the axle.

If you want to change the shock, you’ll need spring compressors. (Replace all four shocks at the same time and have the suspension realigned at a good shop.)

Shock life varies depending on the roughness of the roads you drive and the quality of the OEM shocks. Simple test: use hand pressure/body weight on the fender right above each wheel to see if you can make the car bounce. Good shock = down then up once. Bad shock = down and up repeats but gets smaller each time (spring oscillations)

Take care,
ChrisS

Last edited by ChrisS; 10-04-2017 at 02:48 PM.