Notices

Windows go down on their own- 04 Accord V6

Old 12-26-2004, 12:58 PM
jtusch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows go down on their own- 04 Accord V6

Last Monday, in the middle of the night, my windows (all 4) went down, completely on their own. Unfortunately, it was snowing like crazy at the time, so I went out at 6:30 a.m. to find about 3" of snow in my car, and my doors were frozen open. The locks, of course, didn't work. After letting rip with a string of expletives, I cleared out the front seat, climbed in, fired up the motor, and drove it to the nearest dealership. (I kinda looked like Snoopy chasing the Red Baron, with my scarf and winter coat, all bundled up in 15º weather with all the windows open! But, I digress...)

I left it at the Dealership, where they cleaned it out (for free), and then told me that I had to have hit the key button in the middle of the night for the windows to have gone down. That is an impossibility, since both keys were sitting on top of a dresser (mine and my wife's). And, I've had the car for two months. The only variable was sub-zero weather and three inches of snow. Nevertheless, he (the service guy) stated that this problem "wasn't mentioned in his tech specs, and therefore wasn't possible." Forgive my incredulity here, but that is just like saying "I've never actually met someone from Belgium before, so therefore Belgium must not exist." I'm no mechanic, but that makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE!

I spoke to my regular mechanic, whose receptionist, coincidentally, had just settled with Honda (through CT's Lemon Law) for a NEW 04 ACCORD after the same problem happened to her in her 03 ACCORD. And, it always got worse for her in COLD WEATHER. So, I'm more than a little suspicious.

Obviously, I'm not happy. Two days later we had another cold morning, and the doors were frozen shut again! Honda Care had to come out and get me into the car again, after which I made an appointment to bring it in. That will happen tomorrow, 12/27, at which time they will most likely put in a new actuator, they said. I have a serious concern that I'm headed for a long string of battles with this car, and I've had it for about two months. I just want the car fixed. For good. I paid extra for a Honda to get its legendary reliability (actually, I purchased TWO Hondas on the same day), but I'm obviously not getting what I paid for.

If anyone has heard of ANYTHING like this before, I would be very grateful for the feedback. I've already got the documentation from the case I mentioned earlier. I'd like to have more documentation if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any and all help anyone can offer. Best wishes.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:33 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the car is off, how could the windows possibly go down on their own? That's really weird. I'm surprised that they're replacing your actuators...I don't see how that would be the cause or solution to your problem. And he said that it wasn't in his tech specs because Honda will send dealerships notices and stuff about any problems that cars are having, even the smallest ones. I've never heard of this myself, you're the first to ever complain of it on this forum...and people go to online forums initially to complain or seek help 90% of the time.

And the doors frozen shut is not a problem with your Accord, it's a problem with any car that's not in a garage. Next time before you call Honda, try punching the frame of the door a few times and then opening it...haven't you ever had a car where the doors have frozen shut before? It happens to me at least a few times every month. Sometimes it'll take me 1 or 2 mins of hitting the window frame to get them to crack open. Your saying that your car isn't living up to reliability is a bit unfair...one of my friends has a 2004 Impala, bought with 7 miles and now has about 8500, and he's had it to the dealer no less than 11 times for minor problems such as blown head gaskets and brake caliper failure.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:22 PM
Draka

My Accord's windows also opened on their own last Monday (and I'm also in CT - strange coincidence.) Mine was only the two passenger side windows, and they were only down about 3 or 4 inches each. My Accord is a 2003 DX so I don't even have the key ring thing. My car was in the garage so the snow couldn't get in - but it was the first very cold day we've had all year, and I figured that had something to do with it, although I don't know why. It's the first thing even close to a problem that I've had in the car in the two years I've owned it, and I didn't really think anything of it - I just closed them up and went on my way.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:02 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Wow this has me concerned my TSX has the ring fob power windows down option too.

I'd hate to come out and find my windows down....

Does anyone else in your neighborhood own a Honda, could they have a signal similiar to yours and put your windows down by mistake?

It's been as cold at 5'F here at night and none of our windows has went down.

98CoupeV6:
You can put the windows down on new hondas via hitting the key fob unlock twice.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:28 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrChad

98CoupeV6:
You can put the windows down on new hondas via hitting the key fob unlock twice.
Yes, I know. I don't see why they'd replace the actuator though when it seems like an electrical problem, not a mechanical one.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:28 PM
motoguy128

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Yes, I know. I don't see why they'd replace the actuator though when it seems like an electrical problem, not a mechanical one.

The actuator assembly may include the wiring harness and relays.

IF you consider how this technology works... I'd actually suspect 4 other possiblilities.

1) Radio signal interference. I'm not sure how the signal to open your doors is encrypted, but it's possible that another radio signal triggered the windows. The source of that signal is probably near your house.

2) Similar to the first... CT is a high density population area with the majority of vehicles being towards the luxury end of the market which ALL have key fobs. Perhaps another car is using the same frequency and your reciving module confused that signal with the one that triggerrs the unlock signal.

IF the unlock signal is actuated long enough, it would lower the windows automatically... but then re-arm and lock your doors.

3) Your key Fob is malfunctioning and triggering the unlock button.

4) You recieving unit is malfunctioning in the cold weather. It's casing might be improperly sealed or there is a defect in it's design. When it gets cold it send the signal to open the windows.

The problem wiht cold weather is NOT the temps itself. Rather it's the fact that if you have circuits in a sealed container... that container is filled with air that contains more than 20% aboslute humidity. In temperatures under 0F at sea level, that humidity will condense inside that container and cause a short circuit. For low temp operation, the circuits need to be either solid state, sealed in an inert gas, or molded into plastic.

Honda may have improperly specified that unit.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:46 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

damn, this situation is hella crazy.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:03 AM
iobidder
Registered Abuser

Well jtusch, Technology is changing at a rapid pace! Honda is great, and the products are great. I completely understand your frustration. Take it one day at a time, see if the actuator replacement will fix your issue before you jump to conclusions. I myself own a 03 EX Coupe, but have not had this problem or any problem for that matter. Currently there are no TSB's for this issue.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:29 AM
FLip wit da Flo

its just ghosts, thats all..
Old 12-27-2004, 09:01 AM
motoguy128

IF there are no TSB's for this issue, then the problem is not widespread and effects less than 0.1% of vehicles. The occurance is probably closer to 0.01% since Honda probably shares the same window/door/security electronics on all Accords, Odyssey, Elements, CRV's, and possibly Civics... and simply uses different actuators to fit each door and window size.