Notices

2003 Honda Accord O2 Sensor location ???

Old 09-07-2004, 09:42 AM
krgirard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Honda Accord O2 Sensor location ???

I have a 2003 Accord and the check engine light just came on. The basterds at Honda want to charge me through the nose because it is just over 60k. I have an OBDII meter that gave me this code:
P0134 Air/Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor (Sensor 1) No Activity Detected

It also temporarily gave me this this code:
P2251 Rear Air/Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor (Bank 1, Sensor 1) VS Line High Voltage

I am pretty sure I just need to replace this sensor. This is the O2 Sensor I gather.

Does anyone know where this sensor is or where I can find a picture or something brief to tell me how to replace this. I would way rather fix this myself and then tell the Honda people to f$%# off...

Thanks much!
Old 09-07-2004, 10:49 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

4-cylinder or 6??

Mine's a 4-cyl, & the 1st O2 sensor is right below the bottom flange of the exhaust manifold. In other words, put it up on ramps, crawl underneath, look near where the exhaust pipe first comes down & turns back.

It can be a dirty job, but not that hard. If you got the code for sluggish response, I'd say go for it. Since the code is 'no activity', I wonder whether it's an open circuit *SOMEWHERE* in the wiring harness?? If that's the case, a new sensor would be a waste of money... Is your OBD-2 thingie a simple code reader, or is it a scan tool that can watch the O2 sensor readings?
Old 09-07-2004, 10:55 AM
krgirard

First off, thanks very much for repying so fast. I would like to try this tonight.

Actually, you are probably right that it may not be the sensor. I actually read something online that may be worth trying.

What if I switch the 1st bank 1 and 2 sensors. If I put the code reader back up to it and it has switched, it will probably indicate that it is the sensor.

Do you know where the 2nd sensor is then so that I might try the above. ^^

Anyways, if this doesn't work I will probably have to bring it to them.

My code reader is just a code reader.

Oh, its a V6.

Cheers!
Old 09-07-2004, 01:10 PM
JimBlake

Check out www.hondaautomotiveparts.com for drawings of parts. (I don't have a V-6...) If you have 2 sensors, they'll be in the exhaust somewhere before they combine together. Swapping makes sense, if there's 2 sensors upstream of the catalyst. But with 60k miles they'll be fun to get loose...
Old 09-09-2004, 07:44 PM
phat99accord
BMW Tech

Through the nose eh???

You should know that all emissions equipment have a warranty of 10years 140k miles or something of that range

if it truely is the o2 sensor it should be freeeeeeee
Old 09-10-2004, 10:05 AM
krgirard

Is this true? I have been reading about extended warranties and such, although Honda doesn't cover the o2 sensor for 10 years etc..

They are 60K.

Who do I contact to ask about this o2 sensor being covered??????

Let me know...

Thanks!!!
Old 09-10-2004, 11:09 AM
JimBlake

I think the long warranty (8yr/80kmile) is mandated in USA. Read your warranty booklet. There's lots of funny exclusions & fine print, so maybe you need a lawyer... If it looks like it should be covered & your dealer is not helpful, call Honda USA. You'll be be amazed how they'll trip all over themselves to keep you happy.

You don't say where you live... I sorta remember reading it's different for California vs. everywhere else? I think the 8yr/80k emmissions warranty only covers a small list of items? I even remember someone claiming(?) that the only way to get something covered is to actually FAIL an emmissions test. So if you live where they don't test, ???
Old 09-10-2004, 11:43 AM
krgirard

Thanks again for everyone's input.

I actually live in Canada. So, I guess I will have to look into it. We do have strict emissions tests though. I actually just had one done when I bought the car 1 month ago and passed with flying colors, but the engine light was not on at that point.

I have a couple other q's that I asked someone else in another email, maybe someone can touch them... thanks.

Also, how many sensor's are there? I believe there are only 2 sensors? One which I can see immediately when I open the hood in front of the engine and the other after the Cat. Is this true?

on the generic code, they talk about (Bank 1, sensor 1) How many banks and sensors for o2 are there?

and I got a response saying that it is probably the one on the exhaust manifold... Is this the 1st one that I can see basically right away when I pop the hood, right infront of the engine...????
Old 09-10-2004, 11:56 AM
TenaciousTires
Registered Luser

I do know that certain 95-97 Honda models (including the 96-97 4-cylinder Accord and 95-97 V6 Accord) were under a 14 year 150,000 mile extended emissions warranty/recall that covers a two page list of things (including the speed sensor, 02 sensor, cats, A-pipe, etc.) as well as entitles owners to a free complete tune up between 75k miles and 150k miles (I've already had mine done at 90k) Supposedly, Honda tried to pull one over on their emissions controls and got caught... oops. They agreed to offer the extended warranty than to be fined and have to mandate a full recall. As for other years, I'm not sure. My Trans Am is covered for 5 years and 80,000 miles, which is the standard GM emissions warranty. I believe all manufacturers follow this same warranty period in the U.S., but things could be different in Canada. If your vehicle is infact covered under the emissions warranty, the 02 sensor should very well be covered.