Notices

96 honda accord timing belt change

Old 01-09-2004, 10:08 PM
profuse007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 honda accord timing belt change

96 accord LX nonVTEC 4cyl 91k miles timing belt change for the first service

trying to take off the harmonic balance pulley, but the thing that stop me is the bolt that hold the pulley in. i dont know if i turn the bolt the right way, i tried counter clockwise or left like normal. i know toyota is that way to open which is normal way for every bolt. i dont know if its the same for honda....i read the repair manual but doesnt say anything.

plz someone, help....been stuck on it this for couple of hours. any insight would be great.....
Old 01-10-2004, 06:48 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's a right-hand (normal) thread. Turn it counterclockwise to loosen. But it's on there REALLY tight, and you don't want to turn the engine backwards...

There's a tool that fits into that big hex socket on the pulley, to hold it while you loosen the bolt. Lots of people use an air impact wrench, but you have to use a kinda powerful one. You can also take off the starter & use a crowbar or big screwdriver to hold the flywheel from turning.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:11 AM
profuse007

well...i have some advice from other forum and also this one. i guess this one cant be open by hand. imma take it over to my front neighbor, he has a pretty huge compressor.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:25 PM
jabo77

I just did the timing belt on my own 96 accord (non-vtec). The only way that I could get the balancer bolt off was to use a compressor, even with the compressor I had to wait until it was at full pressure before it would remove it. Without air, it would be very tough to remove. Even if you did try to hold the belt or something like that, it would be a bad idea. If you were to break the belt you would most likely bend your valves in the process. My advise would be to find somebody with a compressor, if possible.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:13 PM
profuse007

i took it to a local shop and paid 20 bucks to get it off. it took them couple of sec w/ a really good 1/2" impact. it was worth of goin to the shop after all. i have been working on it today and havent finish yet. need to change the o-ring on the rear balance shaft.

toyota camry is much simpler comparing to honda accord. freakin balance shafts are belt drives and crap........ toyota is direct drive and much simpler to change.

damn freakin car mechanics, theyre bunch of liar............damn low life ppl, takin $ from innocent ppl. truth sound sux huh?