Notices

I have a hunch it may be my clutch but can you guys diagnose my 1998 honda civic

Old 10-13-2011, 07:03 PM
honda1998civic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a hunch it may be my clutch but can you guys diagnose my 1998 honda civic

I have a hunch it may be my clutch but can you guys diagnose my 1998 honda civic manual transmission? I noticed about 8 months ago I was having trouble with my clutch because I was having to really stomp on it all the way to the floor to be able to make sure I could get in gear so I did not delay traffic at intersections.. Of course I checked fluid level and made sure it was topped off but did not seem to make a difference.. So I took in car to dealership to get ignition switch fixed because this was another problem and after that clutch worked fine for a couple months so I did not pay any mind to it. Then it started again about 4 months ago where I had to really stomp on clutch and I had to pump it atleast 4 times to get in gear.. Soooo.. I sort of learned how to drive this way by making sure I was in first while I was at a red light.. Well as I was driving in from out of town I was in 5th gear and pressed clutch to drop to neutral and clutch felt really really soft like it had no resistance at all but pumped it again and was able to drop to neutral so then I put it in first and was holding clutch down then car started to try and take off on me and started hesitating and I seen engine lights come on and car died on me.. And I did not even let off the clutch... That was today.. But have been having trouble when I park car in 1st gear on incline in driveway when I start it and press clutch its like car wants to move forward and I can not take it out of 1st gear... Any clue? If it is clutch how much am I looking at?
Old 10-13-2011, 08:04 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Sort of sounded like my problem back in the spring the clutch cylinder was going bad on me. Mine was replaced and no problems after that.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:07 PM
honda1998civic

Is this a diy job or take it in to mechanic?
Old 10-19-2011, 05:40 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clutch master cylinder isn't too hard to DIY, but if it turns out you need a complete clutch, read this thread and decide for yourself if it's too much to take on:

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/d...ml#post1715569
Old 10-19-2011, 06:15 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

I decided to let Honda do it because I know most of the guys who work there and they always cut me a break on price