Notices

AC compressor grinding noise.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Alfred5279

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC compressor grinding noise.

Got a grinding noise coming from my AC compressor. The noise is significantly reduced when i TURN ON the AC.

I figure its the clutch or clutch bearing. Should i just replace the clutch assembly and pully ($100) or replace the whole thing ($250)??

Note: I've had 4 Hondas. Never in the 20 years I owed a honda, have I EVER had to touch or replace the AC compressor or pully/clutch.
OK I take that back. My CRX and 92' civics AC compressors went out.. Kinda hard to remember that far back.

Possible cause:
When i bought my USED civic (79k miles) at the dealership it had the full tuneup and belt replacement. It checked the belts to see if they felt new. I thought to myself, damn these belts are tight!!

I better loosen up the power steering belt and alternator belt also.

MY CAR:
Stock 2000 Civic LX
135,000 miles.
Auto Trans.

Last edited by Alfred5279; 07-06-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: edit AC life span.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Wharbone

It's probably the clutch. Get a used whole compressor/clutch from a junk yard. I just bought one for $25 plus $15 for shipping. Comes with a 30 day warranty. I looked it up on http://car-part.com/.

If you don't want to evacuate, replace your drier, and re-charge, you can replace the clutch without removing the lines. Just swap over the clutch and see if that fixes it. It's a tight space, but can be done.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Alfred5279

OK I take that back. My CRX and 92' civics AC compressors went out.. Kinda hard to remember that far back.

So I took it to the garage. I'm too old to learn new tricks. or maybe just lazy. I never done the AC system before.

They originally quoted, $530 to replace the compressor. Not too bad considering a rebuilt one cost 250. Of course they call back with more problems. They claim metal shavings in the refrigerant. Honestly, I believe the guy. The thing was grinding in Vegas and I drove it like that back home and to work for 2 days. A total of 300 miles. You could smell the belt burning.

So they gotta flush out the shavings and put in a new receiver/drier, which is a filtration system for the refrigerant. The grand total out the door is $850.

oh well 135k miles on the original compressor is good enough for me. The compressor comes with 1 year warranty, so as long as i flush. I guess we'll see about that because I do about 35k a year.

I guess we expect it to last forever. 135k is a lifetime for most cars. My 92 civic did 400k, and had the compressor replaced once. I bet, i would do fine without the flush but might as well do it for extra insurance. The last 50k, was zero maintenance costs. hopefully no more expense for a while. although its due for timing belt /water pump in 40k more miles. I could do that myself, and I wont have to do it till next summer. rant over.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Wharbone

$850??? OUCH!!!

You could have just got a used compressor with a working guaranty like I posted for around $40 after shipping and new drier for around $30-50. The compressor is only held on by 4 bolts and is easy to remove. Just loosen the belt, unplug electrical, and unbolt the 4 bolts. Even if you paid someone to install these, do a flush and re-charge you would have saved a bunch of money.

It's rare for the actual compressor to fail. It's almost always the clutch. Did they actually see metal shavings in the refrigerant or were they just assuming? I bet they just assumed. Shops will almost always tell you to replace the whole compressor. It's easier for them to replace the whole thing than just the clutch, plus they make more money.

What did the "grinding" sound sound like? Was it a metalic whine that corresponded to the engine RPM? Was is grinding, rattling, and popping?

I find it odd that you feel comfortable doing the timing belt/water pump yourself, but not these AC components. The AC stuff is by far much easier.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Civic2Scooby

if the compressor went than flushing and replacing the receiver drier is the right call. I have only seen one failed compressor on a Honda in all my time as a Acura/Honda tech. I would say the shop isn't neccessarily trying to rip you off as it is generally protocol to replace the receiver drier when the compressor crap, but I would say 40 bucks for a compressor at the junkyard plus maybe 100 bucks to have a local shop recover/vac/recharge the system is a hell of alot better than 850!!!

edit: Also I would def. check the tension on the rest of the accessory belts. Most techs don't bother actually checking the proper tension when installing new belts but go with the "yup that's tight enough" method.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:23 AM
gucblackek

Fixing your ac system is expensive. Just replace it by yourself.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:05 AM
Djtablet

Default A/c

My clutch and coil has burn like 8times..I changed clutch and coil yesterday today again it burned again..please what will I do to make it stop..??