Notices

Steering wheel off center, arghhhhhhhh!

Old 05-29-2003, 12:34 PM
Ochdx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel off center, arghhhhhhhh!

My steering wheel is way off center. In order for the car to go straight, i have to hold the steering wheel turned to the left about 3° to 5°. It doesn't pull to any side, if i let go of it while its turned 3° to 5° the car keeps going in straight line. My tire pressure is at 35 psi all over, and there are no aftermarket components in my suspension besides koni shocks. I have both swaybars (SI bar in front, ITR bar in the rear), and ITR springs.

About a month ago, when I still had my old tires on, the car was doing the same thing, only difference is that I had to hold the wheel turned to the right. Since then I changed my old tires and got an alignment, and that very moment the steering wheel became off center to the left. This monday I came back to redo the alignment, and for about a day, or even less, the wheel was perfectly centered. And after than the same problem reoccured, I think now its even worse than it was before. What should I check? What is this problem usually caused by?
Old 05-29-2003, 12:37 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

You can remove the bolt in the center of the wheel and just make sure you wheels are straight when you put it back on and that should be enough to line it up right.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:41 PM
b_dyche
owned by a 9 car pile-up

When you had the alignment done your steering wheel was crooked. Take it back & have 'em fix it if it wasn't too long ago. Les Schwab did that on my Toyota... only it was about 45 degrees to the left to go straight, but it would drive straight if I let go... I took it back & they fixed it for free...
Old 05-29-2003, 01:12 PM
Ochdx

actually it was straight for a few hours...
Old 05-29-2003, 02:00 PM
SpeedRacerEX-R

Alignments come with limited warranties. Take it back.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:34 AM
Ochdx

Originally posted by FourthGenHatch
You can remove the bolt in the center of the wheel and just make sure you wheels are straight when you put it back on and that should be enough to line it up right.
Where is that bolt exactly?
Old 05-30-2003, 07:40 AM
maskedSONY
-

:squint: yeah are you talking about a steering wheel bolt or something under the car?
Old 05-30-2003, 08:32 AM
fish

Originally posted by Ochdx
Where is that bolt exactly?
that bolt is behind the airbag and you have to have a hex "key" screwdriver thing ( i really dont know what it is called ) to remove the airbag.