Notices

Cost to un-stick a caliper pin?

Old 08-19-2010, 05:18 AM
Shogo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost to un-stick a caliper pin?

Can someone give me a reasonable ball-park price I should pay to have a stuck caliper pin serviced at a local service place? I know it will depend on labor costs but just an estimate of around what it should cost would be great thanks.

Also if the caliper pin was stuck and the brakes were getting hot enough could the heat stress the wheel studs to the point of breaking? Had a wheel stud break on me a while ago while I was unscrewing the bolts and wondering if the stud got really hot and stressed.

Last edited by Shogo; 08-19-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:30 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Don't know about the price, but about the wheel stud and lug.

Usually what happens is a little bit of dirt gets in between the threads and the heat and cold get it wedged in there good, make it snap. Or cross threading the lugs. Or not waiting log enough for the car to cool down when removing or installing the lugs.
I was snapping studs alot when I 1st started autocrossing. Then a good tip was given to me to always clean the studs and lugs and then add a 1/2 pea size anti-seize compound to the inside of the lug before reinstalling. Never had one break and that was 10 years ago.
One last thing you will find more problems with some of these aluminum lug nuts. Yes they are blinging but aluminum, oxygen, water and heat are not a great combination. You will oxidize the aluminum lugs to your steel studs. This is why in the winter time you should never use aluminum valve stem caps cause I had mine seize to the nipple of the tire.

Last edited by CivicSiRacer; 08-19-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:40 AM
cruzalekz

might recommend reman calipers instead