Notices

98 Civic problems

Old 06-25-2010, 04:01 PM
declutch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Civic problems

My 98 civic has shifting problems, not sure if it is the engine or the trans. It is an automatic trans. If pulling off from stop and not in a hurry the transmission seems to slip when shifting into 3rd and/or 4th gears. If I start off with a moderate to heavy foot it will shift normally. The engine/trans. surges at normal constant speeds and when removing the pressure from the engine, say after topping a hill. These surges can be very heavy at times. It seems to happen most apparently around the 50mph range, but that may be due to having to maintain the speed limit and not a specific range. I have replaced the distributor because I was previously experiencing misfires. I have checked the sensors attached to the distributor and each is reading ~400 ohms. My Haynes manual states that I should have between 500-1000 ohms on these sensors. Will this cause the problem I am having or should I look somewhere else? BTW I am receiving no falut codes. I am using a diagnostic tool the CANOBD2 INNOVA 3100. I also get no freeze frame data stating there is a problem.
I intend to try swapping the distributors from a 92 accord to see if it will help with the symptoms....if it will interchange of course.

Last edited by declutch; 06-25-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:05 AM
declutch

'92 and '98 distributor not compatible, although the resistance reading fell well within the manual specs (on the high side). Any ideas at all?
Old 06-26-2010, 07:45 AM
cruzalekz

if you have engine problem, the check engine light would come on specially for misfires, you mentioned problem happens while shifting from 3rd to 4th so, that answers your question, the problem is within the transmisssion specifically for the parts of 3rd and 4th gears.