Notices

please help me with my civic!!!! It has some strange ghostly problems!

Old 07-07-2009, 05:45 PM
inck243

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help me with my civic!!!! It has some strange ghostly problems!

My honda civic is WEIRD! It's a 1996 LX. I'm not even going to start about the front power windows....

But, the two rear power windows are odd. When the rear door is open, the Left Rear power window will go down, but not up until you shut the door. (Whatever, I can deal with that)

The Right, Rear power window will go down, but not up at all. And, it's raining outside

I tried to change the fuse, which did not help. I tried pulling it up, but it's stuck. Also, I noticed the door for that same window does not turn on the dome light if you open it, and it never has. But the power window used to work... Please help me get it up?? It's really really wet out there!

Last edited by inck243; 07-07-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:33 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Sounds like the switches are going. Although I'm not familiar with doors and window stuff.

If the windows were left down when it rain and water got inside the switches (if I remember right the 96+ switches faces up) and collects water. It could rust out the mechanism inside.

As for the one that stays down could be the window motor is going?
Old 07-08-2009, 05:18 AM
inck243

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
Sounds like the switches are going. Although I'm not familiar with doors and window stuff.

If the windows were left down when it rain and water got inside the switches (if I remember right the 96+ switches faces up) and collects water. It could rust out the mechanism inside.

As for the one that stays down could be the window motor is going?

Thank you for the reply. I guessing I'll probably be forced to take that inside door panel off..... again Things like this are what make me start looking for a new car....ugh!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:38 AM
Line7
Platinum Member

I had a problem with the window going down but not up. I took the switch out and noticed that when I press for the window to go up the little contact was bent a little down, and it would not reach it. I took a small flathead and bent it up so theres solid contact.

Take the switches out, inspect them, spray some contact cleaner. Next step would be to take the panel out and inspect the contact to the motor and take a look at the window regulator and lube it up. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:18 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by inck243
Thank you for the reply. I guessing I'll probably be forced to take that inside door panel off..... again Things like this are what make me start looking for a new car....ugh!
Door panels with power windows are easy. There's like 2 screws.

Door panelts without power windows (manual) are a little more complicated but maybe 2-3 extra minutes longer to disassemble due to the window crank handle.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:06 AM
inck243

Thanks everyone!

I took off the door panel and discovered that the switch to make the window go up does not work! So, we reversed the wires and pushed down and the window went up!

I'm now looking for a new switch. I know the actual bracket will only fit the right rear door, but do you think I can take any rear door switch out of the bracket thing and put it on my right bracket? Or do the 2 screw holes only line up with the right window bracket?

Thanks again!

Last edited by inck243; 07-09-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:33 PM
jdmderick

Hey mate.

I had the same problem in my EK hatchback - if you open/close the windows and open the door the window will stop. Found that the wires in the wiring loom as you open the door is all stuffed. Just a problem to get in there!! took me 4 hours to solder new wires in on 1 door. But all working good now.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Derick
Gold Coast Australia