Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   92+ Civic/EL & Del Sol (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/92-civic-el-and-del-sol-6/)
-   -   How to install powersteering on 95 Honda Civic Hatch (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/92-civic-el-and-del-sol/431125-how-to-install-powersteering-on-95-honda-civic-hatch.html)

Itay 01-20-2009 04:32 PM

How to install powersteering on 95 Honda Civic Hatch

How do I install powersteering on a 1995 Honda Civic Hatchback DX? What are the parts needed? Is it safe to do this? Is it costly?

Civic2Scooby 01-20-2009 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Itay (Post 4205302)
How do I install powersteering on a 1995 Honda Civic Hatchback DX? What are the parts needed? Is it safe to do this? Is it costly?

$$$

power steering rack, power steering pump, all the lines, power steering bracket, new crank pulley...the list goes on and on.

Itay 01-20-2009 05:53 PM

Is it hard to do and safe?

Civic2Scooby 01-20-2009 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Itay (Post 4205369)
Is it hard to do and safe?

hard to do would depend on your level of skill...but I am goin with the old adage of ...if you have to ask...

and why would it not be safe? If installed per factory than sure its safe enough.

94jdmcivic 01-21-2009 09:21 AM

i got most of my parts from a local junkyard of an ex civic. I had a 94 dx but never got around to buying more parts and installing and i just sold the car.

A-series 01-24-2009 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby (Post 4205323)
$$$

power steering rack, power steering pump, all the lines, power steering bracket, new crank pulley...the list goes on and on.

Ya know, this is embarrassing, and I'm actually surprised at myself, but I didn't realize they came with different crank pulleys :oh: Just never thought about it, and never taken a close look at a civic w/o P/S... even the '92 DX my sister used to drive had P/S.
Makes perfect sense though and, for me at least, that's reason enough not to bother with it. Having the change the rack sucks enough, but add to that the crank pulley and I say it's definitely not worth it.

If you just want the quicker steering ratio of the models that came w/ P/S, you could just replace the rack, rig up the lines so they feed into the reservoir(don't really even need that), and fill it up enough so it lubes the rack but doesn't squirt out when you turn it from lock to lock. It's really not that hard to steer them w/o P/S.

FLAT_LINER 01-25-2009 12:35 AM

just roll with no power steering...I took mine out when I had a hatch...there was so much more feel to the car

pslsnakes 01-25-2009 02:15 AM

It can be done, but by the time you have all the parts, it would probably be more cost efficient to find another shell with power steering.

And the crank pulley isn't hard to get off,

If you have an 800ft lb impact gun.;):oh:

It took a can of PB Blast, a whole lot of swearing, and putting 190psi thru my impact gun on short bursts to get mine off my GSR when I did the timing belt.

JoePoonani 01-25-2009 07:16 AM

IMO not worth the trouble to get some power loss from your engine. The manual rack is easy to turn once you get moving, the problem with the p/s rack with the looped lines is that the ratio is different and it's A LOT more difficult to turn compared to the manual rack.

94jdmcivic 01-25-2009 02:44 PM

IMO i think its worth it because you can find all the parts for the conversion at the junkyard for stupid cheap. I picked up most of the lines and resovoir for like 50 dollars and for the rack it was going to cost me i think another 50 or so and dont kno for the pump but im aure you can have it working for less than 200. I had a dx and i hated not having power steering! I dont care how much you can feel the car without p/s its a lot better with it. Now i have a 4 door accord with h22 and no power steering because i cant find the bracket for the life of me and thats all i am missing for it to start working. My accord sucks to turn.