Notices

CV boot

Old 12-29-2002, 10:25 PM
huviduc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV boot

i am going to need to replace my front passanger CV boot and somethign else. not sure what. but the boot has been busted for awhile, had no money to fix it until now. but i was wondering how hard it is because id rather do it myself ans save the money. Can someone give me any directions and tell me how complicated it is?
i also have a strange clicking noise when turning and hitting the gas. im guessing something busted due to the busted CV boot. what might that be? thanx
Old 12-30-2002, 01:38 AM
crash

you need to replace your axle
Old 12-30-2002, 03:15 AM
HLD_Civic
se7en

yeah, you should be able to get the complete axle assembly including new joint and boot. all that really entails is popping the driveaxle out and pulling it through the hub. my haynes manual has a pretty detailed description with pics on how to do this. good luck.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:28 AM
ImportRac3r
Elite Member

Originally posted by crash
you need to replace your axle
Yup....There not hard to change out yourself if your pretty good with cars. Get a haynes and follow directions and should probably get done in about a couple hours if you dont know what your doing. Good luck oh and take back the axles that you get from your car origianally and they'll give you some money back. :thumbup:
Old 12-30-2002, 04:07 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by HLD_Civic
yeah, you should be able to get the complete axle assembly including new joint and boot. all that really entails is popping the driveaxle out and pulling it through the hub. my haynes manual has a pretty detailed description with pics on how to do this. good luck.

Dude, you don't know what the f you're talking about?? Unless.. I'm not getting what you're saying?? 'popping the driveaxle out and pulling it through the hub' :dunno:

There's a whole lot more invloved than just that... how would you get the CV joint through the hub???

You have to:
-Unbend the outside edge of the nut that is in the center of your rotor
-Use a 32mm socket and remove the nut (lefty loosey)
-Remove the cotter pin and 14mm nut from your lower ball joint
-Use a ball joint fork/separator to remove the lower ball joint
-Pick the entire brake/suspension assembly out of the holel where the balljoint sits and swing it out, thus sliding the axle out of the hole in your rotor
-Then, use a screwdriver or crow bar to get the axle out of the tranny (if you just pull on the end, you can separate the CV joint and tear the boot, which doesn't really matter, but if you want to practice good habbits, don't pull)
-Reverse to install.

That's it.

I highly recommend replacing the lower ball joint boot as well as you will most likely tear it separating the joint.

Hope it helps.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:38 AM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

Originally posted by westcoaststyle

Dude, you don't know what the f you're talking about?? Unless.. I'm not getting what you're saying?? 'popping the driveaxle out and pulling it through the hub' :dunno:

There's a whole lot more invloved than just that... how would you get the CV joint through the hub???

You have to:
-Remove the cotter pin in the castle nut that is in the center of your rotor
-Use a 32mm socket and remove the nut (lefty loosey)
-Remove the cotter pin and 14mm nut from your lower ball joint
-Use a ball joint fork/separator to remove the lower ball joint
-Pick the entire brake/suspension assembly out of the holel where the balljoint sits and swing it out, thus sliding the axle out of the hole in your rotor
-Then, use a screwdriver or crow bar to get the axle out of the tranny (if you just pull on the end, you can separate the CV joint and tear the boot, which doesn't really matter, but if you want to practice good habbits, don't pull)
-Reverse to install.

That's it.

I highly recommend replacing the lower ball joint boot as well as you will most likely tear it separating the joint.

Hope it helps.
There's no cotter pin on the axle itself. It's not a castle nut.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:40 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Bakeoff
There's no cotter pin on the axle itself. It's not a castle nut.
Oh duh! :doh:

It's a normal nut with a bendable edge... you unbend the edge out of the groove in the axle. Be careful not to break a screwdriver tip off in there.. it's is beoch to get out.

Thanks bakeoff... :fawk:
Old 12-30-2002, 08:00 PM
huviduc

thanx alot. how much will a new axle cost? and what are the chances that i have the replace it, what else could it be?
Old 12-30-2002, 08:12 PM
maskedSONY
-

aw shizbaHG!! just when you think firestone did a ****ty job on your brakes, you find out that your axle is busted.

i found my CV boot joints torn a few months back. i got them replaced, but now when i read this thread i realized that my axle is busted. GRRR. so anyways - can i replace the axle without having to purchase new CV boots?
Old 12-31-2002, 05:27 PM
breckercivic
2dr couper

ive got the same problem, i gotta get that fixed soon, tits getting bad