Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   92+ Civic/EL & Del Sol (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/92-civic-el-and-del-sol-6/)
-   -   Caliper Pin Stuck (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/92-civic-el-and-del-sol/281842-caliper-pin-stuck.html)

murkho 11-26-2007 05:01 PM

Caliper Pin Stuck

1 Attachment(s)
The caliper pin on the mount is stuck (#18 on the picture). Can't pull it out, even after hitting with a hammer for a while and WD40.

Do i need to get a new caliper or taking the pin out and putting in a new pin with a new boot will work.

Is there any special tool i can use to pry it out?

powerofthemonks 11-26-2007 07:04 PM

can you use a punch to get it out.. and i would try just a new bolt and grease it up right and see how freely it moves if it snags i would replace the whole thing

murkho 11-26-2007 08:07 PM

Punch

What is a punch tool? Can you please post a link/reference to this tool.

I was thinking about using a crow bar.

CivicSiRacer 11-26-2007 08:15 PM

What are you trying to do? If you are just replacing the pads you don't need to pull that pin out. It's there just for the bolt to attach to. Also that pin is very weak only takes about 40 ft/lbs of force to strip the threads. I know I did it :)

murkho 11-26-2007 08:24 PM

Pin

Already replaced the pads. Last pads were unevenly worn since the caliper did not slide because the lower pin is seized.

Newbreed 11-26-2007 09:04 PM

ive found that auto zone should have a socket for that.if not a factory fuel filter banjo bolt socket works well them you find a drill bit that is the next size up from the hole in the caliper then clean the hole in the caliper with it then take the pin and clean it with a wire brush or a wire wheel add some (a little)high temp grease to it then reassemble

Line7 11-27-2007 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by murkho (Post 3710048)
What is a punch tool? Can you please post a link/reference to this tool.

I was thinking about using a crow bar.

A punch is a tool that will fit into the hole where that pin is, opposite its head. When you have the punch in the hole, hit it with a hammer. So basically youre punching that pin out from the other side as opposed to pulling it or screwing it out.

Running925 11-27-2007 10:16 AM

Put the caliper in a vice. (pick sticking up vertically)

Spray some PB Blaster on it (let sit for about 2 minutes)

Use some heat (preferably some map gas)

Once the area is cherry red, use a hammer & tap this thing a little & try to twist it with some locking pliers. Once you brake it free, do have u have to do to wiggle it out of there.

Once it's out you will find that it's coroded & possibly rust build up on it, clean it up with a wire wheel (possibly using a bench grinder) Then coat it with anti-seize & re-install.

Best of luck :thumbup:

mini-me civic 11-28-2007 09:29 PM

easier just finding a used caliper bracket whea the pins arent seized..

Running925 11-29-2007 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by mini-me civic (Post 3712824)
easier just finding a used caliper bracket whea the pins arent seized..

only takes 10min if that to fix the thing, and you don't have to buy another caliper.