Notices

Need help again...with paint!

Old 09-27-2007, 08:20 AM
jdmek9
JDM GAME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help again...with paint!

I have a Roma Red 98 Civic Hatch, my question is: is there any spray paint like at a hardware store or Lowes or somewhere that is pretty close to the paint code for my car? Has anyone used spray paint in a can to paint small things like a lip or grill. I know that my paint code from Honda is Roma Red R-97, but its kinda expensive and I don't need to paint my whole car, it'll be easier if theres a spray paint can type or something else, one that is identical or really really close? Brands and stores will help,...thanks in advance
Old 09-27-2007, 08:44 AM
dieneverknowing

A few different stores (Auto Zone, WalMart, etc) carry touch paint in spray cans that come in a wide variety of stock paint colors.

Dupli-Color offers a 5 oz can. There might be other brands but that's the only one I know of off hand.

As for the actual painting, Asiandoood did a great DIY on painting a spoiler.

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...=paint+spoiler

You can easily use those steps for painting many other single parts. Just remember to use a primer with a flex additive in it for painting certain pieces like lips that might bend or move slightly.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:59 AM
mberndt

Originally Posted by jdmek9
I have a Roma Red 98 Civic Hatch, my question is: is there any spray paint like at a hardware store or Lowes or somewhere that is pretty close to the paint code for my car? Has anyone used spray paint in a can to paint small things like a lip or grill. I know that my paint code from Honda is Roma Red R-97, but its kinda expensive and I don't need to paint my whole car, it'll be easier if theres a spray paint can type or something else, one that is identical or really really close? Brands and stores will help,...thanks in advance
No there is no paint at a local hardware store that will match your paint. It will look like, well, crap.

Check these guys out:
www.paintscratch.com

I have bought 3+ cans from them and they use the factory color code. Really a great company. I painted my door-jams and then applied clearcoat. It looks flawless.

They have spray cans and everything. It's a little pricier than the stuff at Autozone, but I bet they won't have your color anyway.

Check them out and get the correct color. You will only need one can for a spoiler or lip.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:47 AM
jdmek9
JDM GAME

I was looking online at paintscratch.com and I found my color code and everything, now I'm wondering if all I need from them is the basecoat and can I just use a different clear coat cuz I have some laying around at home. All I want to paint is a grill and possible a lip thats it. So my question is, is it better to order all the paint from here or can I just use some of mine at home (clear coat and primer)?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:48 AM
dieneverknowing

I didn't check out their clear coat but their primer has a flex additive in it which is what you'll want if you paint your lip. So unless you have a primer like that at home it wouldn't hurt to get it. At most it'll be convenient getting everything at once, unless you get raped on shipping for the extra stuff.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Rdass

I have the same color and have found that the Duplicolor named 'Candy Apple red' for Ford cars is almost exactly the same as our Roma red (R97). I found this out by take a piece of my bumper to Canadian Tire and spraying different kinds of Red on it to find a match. I then took the sample outside to verify against sunlight.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:08 AM
antony

I don’t think the paint you buy from local hardware shop will do the work. If you use it for the lip and grill it will not look attractive. So it is better if you wait for few months and after that you go for the code of Honda which will suit for your car.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:01 AM
Rdass

Yeah, you're right. After I painted te fender and bumper I saw the color was off. The finish from the spray cans really sucks too. Oh well. This car needs to get me through the winter then I'll look for an s2k.