Notices

Passenger Window Problem

Old 09-26-2007, 10:04 PM
uo959

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Window Problem

I have a 99 EX Coupe and the passenger window squeals and goes up really slow...What do I do??
Old 09-27-2007, 06:28 PM
remy

Originally Posted by uo959
I have a 99 EX Coupe and the passenger window squeals and goes up really slow...What do I do??

how about we start by asking do you have automatic or manual windows??
ps. you got to remember that we dont know the problem that you are having...so you want to be as descriptive and detailed as possible
Old 09-27-2007, 09:44 PM
uo959

my bad...power windows and when they go up or down theyre slow and squeal some
Old 09-28-2007, 06:08 AM
dieneverknowing

Lube the tracks
Old 09-28-2007, 10:13 AM
adva7328
BOOST PROJECT 99

i think that is a problem with most 99 ex civics because my drivers side does that but mine also comes off the track what kinda lube should we be using then to correct this?? how hard is it to change the entire seal does anyone know.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:06 AM
dieneverknowing

I can't think of a specific brand of lube but I'd take a look at Auto Zone or some other place similar. Or try giving your local dealership a call. When I had a window problem (turned out to be the regulator) he suggested lubing the tracks with something they sold there when reinstalling the window. But then again the dealer I went to sells a bunch of after market stuff as well (which not every Honda dealer does).

What exactly do you mean by 'seals'? Do you mean the tracks or the weather stripping or something else? If you were referring to the tracks, then those aren't too hard to take out.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Line7
Platinum Member

The best thing to use for lubing tracks is powdered graphite. However I coldnt find any at autozone or strauss. In that case I would recommend some lithium grease.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:14 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Originally Posted by Line7
The best thing to use for lubing tracks is powdered graphite. However I coldnt find any at autozone or strauss. In that case I would recommend some lithium grease.
Here's some dry graphite lube I found a while back: http://www.allglassparts.com/product/3001865986

Never actually purchased it though, I decided that whenever I get around to it will just lube up my regulator and possibly replace the track itself since it's a bit jacked-up anyway.

My front windows go up alright but slow once they're more than 1/4 down. I cleaned the tracks b/c they were caked with dust but that didn't help and now it makes a loud noise when it gets to the top as the window grabs on the, now clean and grippy, rubber :chuckles:
I blame the previous owner, open windows and dusty-ass conditions don't mix. You should've seen inside the doors :run:
Old 09-29-2007, 05:01 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

White Lithium Grease

Don't use dry lubricants on the tracks because the manufacturer cakes them with white lithium grease when they built your car. Dry lubricants will just gum up in it. Another thing... The "tracks" you're describing are the rubber window seals, and not actually the "tracks" that you lubricate. If your window is in the proper alignment in the tracks, there shouldn't be any excess friction in them causing them to squeak in the rubber seals. The tracks that you lubricate are inside the door bolted to the inner door frame, and they're what guide the window regulator assembly through the rubber seals, and they're actually adjustable inside the door once you get the panel off. Greasing the tracks should be done every couple of years or you'll start having problems with wear on both the motor and the tracks. Since I drive an Eclipse, and since they break exterior door handles like toothpicks, I'm in there all the time and keep 'em lubed. My 13 year-old power windows still work like-new.

All of my Honda windows have always been etched. I don't know if that was luck of the draw or if that's something that Honda just does... but make sure the number matches your VIN, and if it doesn't, chances are you'll need to make an adjustment to the tracks because it might have been replaced incorrectly.

Of course, if the rubber seals for your window are damaged or pinched somewhere and they can't be straightened back out, the only way to fix it is to install new rubber seals.