Notices

I have a brake question?

Old 06-06-2007, 02:08 PM
jmknmecrzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a brake question?

Hey everyone,

I know there are some incredibly talented car guys on here so i figured it would be a good place to start.

i have a 2000 Honda Civic Ex and i just did my brakes.

i changed the calipers about a year ago and i just changed the pads and rotors.

they are stock brakes and i went with the cheapest stuff i could find for now because i would like to get a brake kit in the near future.

i believe only the drivers side is squealing and only while braking under 10 miles per hour.

like i will brake and when i drop in speed below 10 mph they will squeal but if i have been driving for a while say 20 minutes or so they stop.

i was just wondering what this could be, i hope i gave an accurate enough description if you all need more info let me know

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

John
Old 06-06-2007, 03:28 PM
fathergoat
:3

Brakes always seems to squeak a little. Go pick up a couple of packets of anti-squeal grease and put it on the contact areas on the back of the pad. Try not to get any on the front or rotors. While you in there make sure everything is tightend properly and there is nothing making contact that shouldn't be.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get semi metallic pads or ceramic pads? Semi metallic almost always squeak.
You also got new rotor did you have them re surfaced? Its alway a good idea to get new rotor resurfaced. Some times a new rotor is warped or has a parallelism problem I have seen a rotor or two warp brand new oem so not to big of a deal.
Did you clean the rotors before putting them on? New rotor come with a film/oil on them to help prevent rust if you do not clean the rotors before installing the oil can cause some noise.
I alway like to put the honda moly 77 on the back or the pads sometimes this helps prevent noise. I also like a non directional finish on all my rotors if it has a spiral pattern on the rotor it will act as treads and pull the pads closer tord the center or the rotor this some times will cause noise.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Sounds to me like a crappy pad. Cheap pads will squeak.

Why do you need a big brake kit? Do you road race your car to the point of boiling the brake fluid? A decent pad will be just as effective if you don't track the car.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:04 PM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

Originally Posted by Fuse
Did you get semi metallic pads or ceramic pads? Semi metallic almost always squeak.
You also got new rotor did you have them re surfaced? Its alway a good idea to get new rotor resurfaced. Some times a new rotor is warped or has a parallelism problem I have seen a rotor or two warp brand new oem so not to big of a deal.
Did you clean the rotors before putting them on? New rotor come with a film/oil on them to help prevent rust if you do not clean the rotors before installing the oil can cause some noise.
I alway like to put the honda moly 77 on the back or the pads sometimes this helps prevent noise. I also like a non directional finish on all my rotors if it has a spiral pattern on the rotor it will act as treads and pull the pads closer tord the center or the rotor this some times will cause noise.
the "pattern" on the rotor has no effect on how the brakes are going to operate. thats pure bs.

if your getting new rotors with warp issues on a regular basis than there is something wrong. in the last 4 years ive seen less than 10 sets of rotors come back due to warp issues right out of the box

and as for using a anti-squeal liquid on the back of pads. i would be careful, alot of your pad manufacturers now are voiding warrenties the minute that they see that stuff on there. Wagner was the first, if the customer uses anti-squeal chemical than there is no warranty on the pads.

also theres an issue if pads are squeaking, it isnt just because they are semi-metallic. thats a generic poor mechanic answer. unless of course your talking bottom of the barrell pads, but then with those they squeak usually regardless of material used
Old 06-06-2007, 04:27 PM
fathergoat
:3

Originally Posted by rebeld

and as for using a anti-squeal liquid on the back of pads. i would be careful, alot of your pad manufacturers now are voiding warrenties the minute that they see that stuff on there. Wagner was the first, if the customer uses anti-squeal chemical than there is no warranty on the pads.
I did not know that, that could be some handy information.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by rebeld
the "pattern" on the rotor has no effect on how the brakes are going to operate. thats pure bs.

if your getting new rotors with warp issues on a regular basis than there is something wrong. in the last 4 years ive seen less than 10 sets of rotors come back due to warp issues right out of the box

also theres an issue if pads are squeaking, it isnt just because they are semi-metallic. thats a generic poor mechanic answer. unless of course your talking bottom of the barrell pads, but then with those they squeak usually regardless of material used
and the short version

DONT BUY CHEAP SHIT ASS PADS, THEY SQUEAK CAUSE THEY ARE CRAP!

thanks.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:04 PM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

Originally Posted by fathergoat
I did not know that, that could be some handy information.
yea, we had a huge go around with it for the first couple months, they eventually made up laminated identity cards and shipped them out everywhere so stores would better understand their return policy

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
and the short version

DONT BUY CHEAP SHIT ASS PADS, THEY SQUEAK CAUSE THEY ARE CRAP!

thanks.
the cheap pads have their place ... i used to sell the hell outta the cheap pads, cuz when it comes down to it 70% of people just dont care,
Old 06-06-2007, 07:39 PM
vietnamese_boi

you get what you pay for, if don't want to spend and get the higher quality stuff, you gotta deal with problems that lower quality has to offer
Old 06-06-2007, 08:53 PM
CivicRacr

its $40 for oem pads, why take a chance with the cheap stuff.