Notices

98 DX: Installed gauge cluster with tach, but tach doesn't work

Old 07-01-2006, 08:44 PM
TXCatalyst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 DX: Installed gauge cluster with tach, but tach doesn't work

Do I need to splice into some wire to get my tach working ? I have a 98 DX and it didn't previously have a tach, I bought a 96 gauge cluster and installed it - everything works but the tach.

Also, my car is used with a b16a2 swap, so who knows if everything is run correctly - it just seems like if I could get the blue tach wire to the gauge cluster, it would work.

In my searches, it seems like B8 is the connector I should run a blue wire to, does this sound right? I just want my instrument cluster's tach to work.....even if I have to manually run a wire.

Help, please!
Old 07-03-2006, 08:09 AM
TXCatalyst

Anyone have pics of the tach wire - I test both blue wires from the distributor and one had zero voltage and the other had 12volt constant...so I know that's not the tach wire....
Old 07-03-2006, 08:48 AM
RicoD
Pull my finger

That tach should be plug and play :thinking: I could be wrong though...
Old 07-03-2006, 11:00 AM
TXCatalyst

Well, either I got a broken gauge cluster or there's no tach signal. Can I test the gauge cluster (the tachometer) off the car - any ideas how ?
Old 07-03-2006, 01:10 PM
ReVenGe

i could tell you the wire if you didnt do your swap.....
bit
its easier to find with a buddy, because he can turn on the key to acesory, and you will see a jump in power through the wire.... ill take pictures later today if you still ned help
Old 07-03-2006, 01:25 PM
TXCatalyst

Originally Posted by ReVenGe
i could tell you the wire if you didnt do your swap.....
bit
its easier to find with a buddy, because he can turn on the key to acesory, and you will see a jump in power through the wire.... ill take pictures later today if you still ned help
Thanks, I do have a multimeter and one of the blue wires jumps to 12v with the key on..I would *assume* that it would fluctuate, but it doesn't...I'm measuring it and using another hand to blip the throttle, and it stays 12v - so it doesn't seem like that would be the tach wire. Pictures would be angel-sent!
Old 07-03-2006, 02:08 PM
remy

Originally Posted by RicoD
That tach should be plug and play :thinking: I could be wrong though...
It is plug and play! i have a 97 Dx and mine did not bring a tach and i bought one and it works fine!!

Maybe the instrument cluster is not getting rpm signal!
Old 07-03-2006, 04:46 PM
decalsxpress

Check the speedometer clib. Use a can of air to blow the plug out, there could be dirt lodged in there.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:14 PM
TXCatalyst

Thanks all! You guys are entirely right, I was not getting a tach signal. After some further research, I found exactly which was the test tach lead, from there, I tested it with a multimeter and no voltage.

I tested all of the blue wires from the distributor wiring (this was an engine swap that I didn't do, I just bought this car)

There was one with voltage when the car was running and I test ran this to the B8 pin and wa-lah, I had a tach.

I then ran a wire to the test tach lead, which also turned on the tach when the cluster was plugged in.

So thanks everyone and hopefully this thread helps others. From my searches, I found the tach wire, the distributor wiring, the color of the wire, but no one had a similar issue of when you plug and pray and the cluster didn't work.

So the extra step here is to test for voltage first....
Old 07-09-2006, 05:47 AM
orbit77

tach is ac not dc, you can test off an injector, it'll be the uncommon color on any of the injector or you can use the test plug on the drivers side firewall