Notices

99-00 SI over XX year GS-R?

Old 06-28-2006, 12:53 PM
XelNaga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99-00 SI over XX year GS-R?

I'm on the market looking for a car. I have trouble deciding whether to buy a 99-00 Honda Civic SI or a GS-R. I have a limited price range around 6500-6000. I like the gs-r's but they run on premium fuel and they have relatively high miles for the price range. I don't really know much about the civics. Engine-wise I know the b16 produces 160 and the b18c1 produces 170, and the b18c1 is pretty damn near legendary. I just wanna know what other people think, preferrable people who actually own 1 of the 2 vehicles.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:55 PM
goon54

for starters, i dont think u can get a 99-00 Si for $6500....
Old 06-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Si's also use premium.
The Si is, I would say, 95% of what the GS-R is performancewise.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:22 PM
XelNaga

Actually I found a 00 si with 45k miles for $5000 on autotrader. The body doesn't have major dents or anything, it's just a little sloppy. The engine is still good, it's in illonois somewhere. I don't know if its still available, but that car definitely needs work. I definitely like the gsr's better but the civics have limitless modding options, it's just so customizable.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

GSR's have just as many mods. Your insurance will be a little bit less with the SI vice the GSR. Integras have a higher theft rate.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:18 PM
XelNaga

which would be a better daily driver? I think the si's could get up to 30 mpg, is that true? But I also heard that the si has horrible low end torque. But the thought of a low insurance rate is rather appealing...
Old 06-28-2006, 06:32 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Originally Posted by XelNaga
Actually I found a 00 si with 45k miles for $5000 on autotrader. The body doesn't have major dents or anything, it's just a little sloppy. The engine is still good, it's in illonois somewhere. I don't know if its still available, but that car definitely needs work. I definitely like the gsr's better but the civics have limitless modding options, it's just so customizable.
I would bet its a salvage title at that price.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

which would be a better daily driver? I think the si's could get up to 30 mpg, is that true? But I also heard that the si has horrible low end torque. But the thought of a low insurance rate is rather appealing...
True. B16's power is all high end. Unless the motor is in a completely gutted hatch you don't really feel anything from the motor at all.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:28 AM
mberndt

Yeah I must agree that an SI for anywhere near $6500 gotta have major problems. In addition, who told u that SI's don't use premium fuel...
GSR and SI both have DOHC VTEC which requires premium fuel or it won't be allowed to turn on and ruin your motor (Detonation), that's hy they have KNOCK SENSORS. This is because DOHC VTEC advances the timing ALOT when in VTEC.
IMO they are both about the same in performance. While the GSR may have a slight edge in displacement, the engine's perform almost identically. They both have limited low-end torque (B18C has like 5 more lb-ft), and both will net good MPG if they are not constantly driven in VTEC. gas mileage takes a plunge when driving in VTEC, but you only waste gas if you drive hard, u see? Heck, I got a turbo B16 and it still gets like 30mpg if u stay out of boost.
If it's torque u want, go buy a chevy. If it's efficiency you're looking for, buy a honda.
IMO I don't like the hatchback style of the integra, my favorite is the rare 4-door GSR's. As for looks, I would go with the SI or 4-dr GSR. But the GSR is available with leather seats, so if u like leather get a GSR. But the GSR and SI are the same car underneath the skin, so u could just get leather seats for the SI, like I have for my 93 EG Turbo.
Most likely u should get a GSR with high miles, and just get it properly serviced (new piston rings, head gasket, timing belt, water pump, etc) and it will easily last another 100,000 miles.
Good luck
Old 06-29-2006, 09:05 AM
colombian_jam

I'm on the market looking for a car. I have trouble deciding whether to buy a 99-00 Honda Civic SI or a GS-R. I have a limited price range around 6500-6000. I like the gs-r's but they run on premium fuel and they have relatively high miles for the price range. I don't really know much about the civics. Engine-wise I know the b16 produces 160 and the b18c1 produces 170, and the b18c1 is pretty damn near legendary. I just wanna know what other people think, preferrable people who actually own 1 of the 2 vehicles.
if u are down here in Miami i can help u out look for cars SI and GSR only is what my friend sell i buy mines from him and its runing good