Notices

My 1998 honda civic ac cycles from cold to cool in 2 to 3 minute increments..

Old 06-30-2012, 05:12 PM
honda1998civic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1998 honda civic ac cycles from cold to cool in 2 to 3 minute increments..

I replaced compressor about a year ago then recently my evaporator sprung a leak so put in a new one.. I added 24 oz of refrigerant and recommended spec on car was 22.9 oz.. So figured it was not a big deal.. Well summer came along and it just was not cool enough inside the car so I got a loaner vacuum pump and set of gauges and removed refrigerant and pulled a vacuum of -22 for an hour.. Then I checked for leaks and again none were present.. So i added 24 oz of refrigerant and did notice ac was blowing cool so I tested it out... WEll coming home from a hot day at work it was just not cooling me off so I decided to add more refrigerant.. While I added maybe 12 more oz the compressor sound like it was choking up (turning off and on) so I stopped adding refrigerant and actually removed some until the compressor sounded better.. Since then I have put gauges on them again reads 20 lbs on low side and 175 lbs on high side.. When the system is down gauges both read 100lbs.. I am not real sure about these pressures but was told suction low side should be 30 and high side around 175.. So I assumed system was low and want to add more refrigerant.. I have tried to add some again but suction low side pressure did not raise and the high side did up to 250 lbs. So I bled some off high side and it held the 175 lbs..

Things I did notice when I removed cover to look at expansion valve and I can visually see expansion valve outlet(low side) is freezing up then thaws out on its own while vehicle air conditioner is running? The ac does blow cold in vehicle but then will just blow cool like a fan blowing then it will cycle back to cold for about 3 minutes then it will go cool for about a minute then back to cold and continue to do this... Any idea what is causing this?

This vehicle does not have a orifice filter..

Can someone tell me correct pressures that I am looking for?

Also read up on this a little but i do get about 4 little bubbles on my drier siteglass so that is a sign it may be low? This I just came across online..

Any help is greatly appreciated..

Also compressor does not cycle off and on repeatedly like if it is low.. It actually runs normal and cuts off normal..