head gasket blown in stock civic

head gasket blown in stock civic

Well,

It's finally happened. The head gasket in my 1993 Civic LX is officially blown. This leaves me with a few options:

1. Replace the head gasket
    2. Do a "mini me" swap and get a new D16Z6 head
    3. Swap in a new motor

My questions about each are:

1. I've read about a Honda Service Bulletin 97-047. From a website selling a head gasket set "In cases of leakage, use head gasket 12251-P01-004 along with special head bolt #90005-PM3-004 (10 req'd.) instead of the head gasket in this set and the normal head bolts. Normal replacement (without leakage) should use the head gasket contained in this set along with the normal head bolts (NOT the special head bolts!)." Since mine is a case of leakage, I gave my local Honda dealer a call, and they verified this and recommended I buy the special gasket and head bolts. Do I really need to? Has anyone heard of this? It is much more expensive to go this route.

2. Will the new head leak like mine is now even with a new head gasket? Given the above Honda Service Bulllletin.

3. Are the D16Z6 and D15B SOHC VTEC Longblock(like http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30019) direct bolt-in swaps?

I'm trying to stay pretty cheap, and I'm not that concerned with speed etc. I'd LOVE to swap in a B16A SiR-II - but I'm afraid it's out of my price range...

Thanks for any help!

Dave

i swap out a head gasket. i had a civic that had a blown HG and i sold it. the guy i sold it to spent 25 dollars at auto zone for a new HG and 5 1/2 hours of work and the damn thing runs beautiful and i wish i dident sell it.

so if you want cheap i get a new head gasket and save some money.

just change the head gasket.. depending on milage, you might want to change your timing belt & water pump while u'r at it.. other than that.. u'r good to go.
    Tony Simeone
    95 Civic EX / Dart 2.0 / Dart Head / Turbo Charged 460whp 296wtq
    Daily Driver: 95 Civic DX 1.5 with 270k on the clock, still gets 41mpg on highway.

Ok,

I've decided I'm going to change the head gasket this weekend. I have a question though, should I buy the entire "head gasket set($96)" from autozone or can I get by just fine buying a new head gasket ($25). Lastly, if my head bolts are in good condition, is there any reason I would need to replace those as well? Thanks again!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davekaro
    Ok,

I've decided I'm going to change the head gasket this weekend. I have a question though, should I buy the entire "head gasket set($96)" from autozone or can I get by just fine buying a new head gasket ($25). Lastly, if my head bolts are in good condition, is there any reason I would need to replace those as well? Thanks again!

Dave
    Personally, I'd get an OEM head gasket from honda.

Still here... sorta... westcoaststyle's Avatar
    yes, go OEM.
    2008 Lexus IS 350 - Starfire White
    1999 Ford Explorer 4x4 Sport

View My Feedbacks & ADD TO THEM!!!

Def get new bolts.. The old ones will not keep there tourque again. the threads get streched when u tighten them. spend $30 and get new ones..

wait, so what's wrong with the fel-pro mls gaskets? arent those honda hg's only good for one-time use? well i mean if he aint planning on boost or high power it would be ok i guess...

Quote Originally Posted by DELSOL98GSR
    Def get new bolts.. The old ones will not keep there tourque again. the threads get streched when u tighten them. spend $30 and get new ones..
    $30?? I've only seen bolts for $9 a piece times 10 bolts = $90. Where can I get new ones for $30?

Not True!

Examine the bolts, look for an even thread spacing between each thread.. basicly if u hold the bolt up to the light & look down the edgeds of the bolts, as long as they don't get skinny in the middle of the things, they are perfectly fine. Refer to service manual for beter explaination & pictures of good / bad bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by 90CvcDX
    wait, so what's wrong with the fel-pro mls gaskets? arent those honda hg's only good for one-time use? well i mean if he aint planning on boost or high power it would be ok i guess...
    There is nothing wrong with the fel-pro 3 layer metal head gasket that looks / feels / acts just like the OEM one. I've used the Fel-Pro in a boosted application & had no problems with it. Many people can't get to the stealership as easily as others, weather it be work schedule overlap or distance, the parts store becomes very conveniend for these types of things. The gasket gets a from me.
    Tony Simeone
    Daily Driver: 95 Civic DX 1.5 with 270k on the clock, still gets 41mpg on highway.

honda head bolts are not TTY bolts. Though I would never re-use head bolts, thats just me though. I have plenty of friends who have re-used and nothing has gone wrong...but there is always that one friend that if fucked over...so I dont wanna be that friend.
    SPWC Member #00001
    Quote Originally Posted by Tark
    i would eat a donkey Vagina
    Quote Originally Posted by e3NiNe
    - while you're tagging her from behind ... eat a cheeseburger. Put extra onions on it and blow into her holes.

ive got a d16y8 swap for sale that bolts right up to that
    (head and intake mani)
    from 00 civic ex 58k
    [email protected]

$90? Sucks to be you
    LoL I got a set this winter for my b18c5 for $30 got them at cost but still and that is CND Funds!! It's highly reccomended to get new bolts. If your going to do the work might as well spend the money and get new bolts. it only takes one bolt to be streched to mess up things for him. Just my 2 cents. No one is twisting his arm to get new ones just a suggestion..

I have reused mine 8 times. They holding up fine. When installing them back I would dip them in oil (threads) so you get a perfect tq reading.

umm 8 times?? If you have had to do your head gasket 8 times I think something is wrong there????

umm 8 times?? If you have had to do your head gasket 8 times I think something is wrong there????
    just coz he decided to take his head off 8 times doesn't mean that there was a problem with the studs! could have blown the bottem end apart like i did so many times last summer! i re-used mine all the time last season, no probs with them.
    Tony Simeone

yeah Tony has blown more bottom ends than I have replaced spark plugs
    SPWC Member #00001
    Quote Originally Posted by Tark
    i would eat a donkey Vagina
    Quote Originally Posted by e3NiNe
    - while you're tagging her from behind ... eat a cheeseburger. Put extra onions on it and blow into her holes.

ok so im going to replace my head gasket on my 2001 Acura EL, AKA Honda Civic. The Haynes manual lists the following head bolt torque specs for this car
    1.7L engines
    Step 1.....168 in-lbs
    Step 2.....36 ft-lbs
    Step 3.....49 ft-lbs
    1.8L engine
    Step 1.....29 ft-lbs
    Step 2.....Tighten an additional 90-degrees
    Step 3.....Tighten an additional 90-degrees
    New bolts.Tighten an additional 60 degrees
    These torque specs are for SOHC engines.

The DOHC engine lists torque specs as below
    1.8L engine*
    Step 1.....29 ft-lbs
    Step 2.....Tighten an additional 90-degrees
    Step 3.....Tighten an additional 90-degrees
    Step 4.....Tighten an additional 90-degrees
    *Bolts Must be Replaced

From what I can tell it looks like the 1.8 SOHC engine uses TTY bolts while the 1.7 SOHC engine uses non TTY bolts
    From this I would say you can NOT resuse the 1.8 TTY bolts but you could reuse the regular 1.7 bolts.

When reusing any head bolts it is important to use a tap and clean the threads in the head and a die and clean the threads on the bolts and oil the bolts before installing using a NON click type torque wrench, instead use a good quality beam or dial type and follow the manufacturer torque specs. If any binding is felt while torquing a head bolt, remove it and start again, possibly even cleaning the threads again.

As a rule is the manufacturer lists a final torque spec numerical value for a head bolt then it is not TTY, if the manufacturer lists an initial torque numerical value followed by some additional degrees of turning then these are definitely TTY and should not be reused.

Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by wpenno; 12-23-16 at 05:59 PM.