Notices

2000 Si Build-Up Questions (newbie questions.. beware)

Old 01-25-2006, 08:30 PM
93CivicSiD16HB
mmmmm VTEC..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Si Build-Up Questions (newbie questions.. beware)

Well I've got my college plans set, and I'm soon to selling the Si I own now (the 93 d16z6) and am going to buy a 2000 Civic Si as my new car to work on through college. Now i have a few questions on how to build it up.

First, whats the pros/cons of NA over Turbo setups. And cant you just make an all NA engine THEN throw a turbo on it??

And what components need to be changed for a turbo setup rather than an NA setup.

Also, are ceramic coated or polished headers better for performance?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:11 PM
CivicRacr

goin na usually means raising the compression, when you go turbo you want a lower compression. with turbo you dont need a header
Old 01-26-2006, 04:50 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Hey any info on your 93 Si? I'm selling my 00 Civic Si Maybe a trade and some exchange of cash?

http://home.comcast.net/~mikelouie/mikecivicsi.html
Old 01-26-2006, 07:31 AM
AcuraFanatic

Originally Posted by 93CivicSiD16HB
Well I've got my college plans set, and I'm soon to selling the Si I own now (the 93 d16z6) and am going to buy a 2000 Civic Si as my new car to work on through college. Now i have a few questions on how to build it up.

First, whats the pros/cons of NA over Turbo setups. And cant you just make an all NA engine THEN throw a turbo on it??

And what components need to be changed for a turbo setup rather than an NA setup.

Also, are ceramic coated or polished headers better for performance?
First off, engines make power in three ways: Revolutions, forced induction, or displacement. The end result is more heat which is more power.

Naturally aspirated setups gain their power using revolutions and high compression. You can run a turbo setup on a higher compression engine, but a turbo essentially "adds" compression, changing your overall effective compression ratio. So you limit yourself to how much CFM (cubic feet/minute) of air you can force down the throat of an NA car without risking preigntion/detonation.

Naturally aspirated setups also use completely different internal setups. They use a high lift, long duration cam lobe for improved airflow. With a turbo, you want as little overlap as possible. Having the exhaust valve constantly open with an NA cam, any boost pressure you're trying to make would immediately be sucked out during the compression stroke. A full NA setup usually consists of high compression "domed" pistons as well, which would not be used in a turbo setup.

Now for the pros and cons. Bang for the buck, forced induction is the best route to go. You'll make the most power for the money versus an NA setup. For example a Greddy turbo kit may run you $2600 and you'll gain 70WHP. To gain 70WHP in an NA setup, you're looking at probably looking at least twice, maybe three times that amount of money.

Especially given your situation having only 1600cc's to work with, I'd definately do turbo. My rule of thumb for Honda is that the stock internals can take a 40% increase in power before you need to start replacing parts. Greddy's turbokit is a nice setup for novice users who want good power on stock internals, 50 state emission capability for a reasonable price. Greddy makes a kit for your car for $2,596. It includes a Greddy E-Manage for your ECU, the turbo manifold, turbo itself, clamps and anything else you need.

You might also want to look into other upgrades with that kit such as an intercooler for added horsepower and reliability. Upgraded management systems such as Hondata may also be a good idea, especially later down the road if you plan to build the internals of your engine.

A ceramic vs. polished header really doesn't make a difference in performance, it's a cosmetic preferance. On a turbo setup, your exhaust header is replaced on by a turbo manifold which houses your turbo.

Hopefully I answered everything for you.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:37 AM
Skelly_GSR
RB does men

put your education as your main priority. You will thank me later
Old 01-26-2006, 08:49 AM
raiden571
turning u inside out

Originally Posted by Skelly_GSR
sound like my father. you can do both at once, just might take longer to finish the car. whens he supposed to do it, in his late 20's when he has a full time job and possible hitched? bahhh.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:51 AM
AcuraFanatic

Originally Posted by raiden571
sound like my father. you can do both at once, just might take longer to finish the car. whens he supposed to do it, in his late 20's when he has a full time job and possible hitched? bahhh.
Just need to have the drive to finish both. I'm balancing full time school with part time work and a K24/K20A hybrid swap into my EG. Just need motivation.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:55 AM
raiden571
turning u inside out

school 5 days a week, work about 30 hrs and balance between family, girlfriend and car. i keep busy but managed to pull a 3.5gpa last semester. so if my fat ass can do it, so can everyone else,
Old 01-26-2006, 09:52 AM
RB
snitches get stitches

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skelly_GSR

Says the kid in college whos got an ITR
Old 01-26-2006, 04:45 PM
93CivicSiD16HB
mmmmm VTEC..

Okay so turbo is the way to go, so then what type of cam would i need then for the best output, and what other internals could be upgraded going this route? I'm trying to get the most power for the modding possible, but want to be able to improve when i can afford to. I understand all the other components of customization, just engines are the most confusing (obviously) but i have the time and the garage to work with, i just need the info and i cant find exactly what i need anywhere.

And as a seperate question, how hard/costly would it be to push over 300?

Last edited by 93CivicSiD16HB; 01-26-2006 at 04:51 PM.