Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   92+ Civic/EL & Del Sol (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/92-civic-el-and-del-sol-6/)
-   -   Changing Head Gasket (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/92-civic-el-and-del-sol/214311-changing-head-gasket.html)

dpkelly 11-23-2005 10:08 AM

ARP head studs also need to be retorqued after first putting them on and driving for a bit. I believe you can re-use the ARP head studs. You just have to read the instructions that come with them.

Jafro 11-23-2005 11:02 AM

Um. You might have that backwards. If you use the ARP lube included with them and follow their tightening instructions, you won't have to retorque anything. I think it says that in the instructions.

If you use motor oil and factory head bolts, you should retorque them.

I've hit 33 PSI on my 4g63 twice. It's got ARP everything with a factory head gasket. I have over 6,000 miles on the build. Straight 152 PSI compression across the board, burns clean and doesn't leak a drop of anything. I was advised not to re-torque them by everyone in a DSM forum when I was curious and asked about it.

ARP's don't stretch like factory bolts do. They're re-useable.

TonyKunz 11-23-2005 06:14 PM

Bah, leave the head alone unless you want to do a complete overhaul, new camshaft, valves, the whole works, I agree use Mr. Gasket or any high temperature silicone gasket. Also if you want more compression, get a turbo, or shave your pistons for a larger displacement per chamber.

1995Civic 11-23-2005 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by TonyKunz
Bah, leave the head alone unless you want to do a complete overhaul, new camshaft, valves, the whole works, I agree use Mr. Gasket or any high temperature silicone gasket. Also if you want more compression, get a turbo, or shave your pistons for a larger displacement per chamber.

:bs:

That is way up there on my list of the DUMBEST things I've ever heard! :wtf: How do you figure a turbo gives you more compression, when it has nothing to do with it? First of all, you want lower compression BEFORE you go turbo. Second of all, you dont just throw a turbo on a car, it requires MUCH more than that! You gotta be kidding me dude! Omg, seriously I hope you never post on this board again, because you dont have a clue about anything....its not even worth me getting into, cause I could go all day.

BTW, why would he want to leave the head alone if he NEEDS to change his headgasket!? Also, just because you change out the headbolts for ARP headstuds, does not mean you have to change any internals on the head. Oh boy........shoot me now!

Highmile 11-23-2005 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by 1995Civic
:bs:

That is way up there on my list of the DUMBEST things I've ever heard! :wtf: How do you figure a turbo gives you more compression, when it has nothing to do with it? First of all, you want lower compression BEFORE you go turbo. Second of all, you dont just throw a turbo on a car, it requires MUCH more than that! You gotta be kidding me dude! Omg, seriously I hope you never post on this board again, because you dont have a clue about anything....its not even worth me getting into, cause I could go all day.

BTW, why would he want to leave the head alone if he NEEDS to change his headgasket!? Also, just because you change out the headbolts for ARP headstuds, does not mean you have to change any internals on the head. Oh boy........shoot me now!

:cheers: :goodjob:

Jafro 11-25-2005 05:04 AM

I wanted to reply to this yesterday, but I was breaking up w/girlfriend and it left me too distracted to type.

In Tony's defense, boosting a turbo engine DOES raise your car's FINAL compression ratio, but has no bearing on your engine's compression ratio.

Now... on the other hand... shaving pistons sounds like the stupidest idea I've ever heard. The only thing that should/could be done with a piston is maybe fly cutting them for valve clearance, but as a means of lowering compression it's silly. You'll compromise the strength of the piston. Just buy a set of forged pistons with the compression ratio you want. If you increase your combustion chamber volume any other way than widening the bores, you'll knock like crazy due to sharp/rough edges or the increased quench area, and that's hell on your engine, especially if you're boosted.

1995Civic 11-25-2005 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jafro
I wanted to reply to this yesterday, but I was breaking up w/girlfriend and it left me too distracted to type.

In Tony's defense, boosting a turbo engine DOES raise your car's FINAL compression ratio, but has no bearing on your engine's compression ratio.

Now... on the other hand... shaving pistons sounds like the stupidest idea I've ever heard. The only thing that should/could be done with a piston is maybe fly cutting them for valve clearance, but as a means of lowering compression it's silly. You'll compromise the strength of the piston. Just buy a set of forged pistons with the compression ratio you want. If you increase your combustion chamber volume any other way than widening the bores, you'll knock like crazy due to sharp/rough edges or the increased quench area, and that's hell on your engine, especially if you're boosted.

I was only thinking about how it has nothing to do with your engine's compression ratio, and how he wanted to just throw one on to raise the compression :rolleyes: