Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   92+ Civic/EL & Del Sol (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/92-civic-el-and-del-sol-6/)
-   -   B18b for more Horses (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/92-civic-el-and-del-sol/211550-b18b-for-more-horses.html)

JayG 11-01-2005 03:28 AM

B18b for more Horses

When i get my B18b whats a good way to build up the horses before the turbo.... any sugestions....Not looking to rebuild the entire engine but a few bills here and there to bring that sucker up

qtiger 11-01-2005 08:02 AM

If you're going turbo later, there's nothing you can do before the turbo that will gain power.

bambbrose 11-01-2005 09:51 PM

intake manifold and throttle body will help with NA and turbo systems.

LSD for the trans will help a ton.

Umm... thats about all I would do

raiden571 11-02-2005 07:06 AM

u could do some head work, cams aside. stock b18b cams are excellent for turbo setups. im probably going to keep mine and upgrade to tit. retainers, dual valvesprings, nitride coated valves, minor P&P and all new seals, valve guides, etc. power is made in the head

bambbrose 11-02-2005 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by raiden571
u could do some head work, cams aside. stock b18b cams are excellent for turbo setups. im probably going to keep mine and upgrade to tit. retainers, dual valvesprings, nitride coated valves, minor P&P and all new seals, valve guides, etc. power is made in the head

a comletely agree with you. The the LS head is where most work is needed if high hp numbers are wanted

pissdoffB 11-02-2005 10:04 AM

well whats the best head to put on the b18b then? or is it simply better to send it to a machine shop

raiden571 11-02-2005 11:24 AM

the b18b head is fine, its just better to build it for more power. or u could go with a b18c1, or my personal favorite, put a b16 head on a b18 block

Omniscient 11-02-2005 12:21 PM

If you really wanted to you could put the b16 head on like eric said, but that would require the purchase of the golden eagle ls/vtec conversion kit, and some machining and tapping dowells, blah blah. I'm waiting for the whole unreliability thing to pop up now.

raiden571 11-02-2005 02:00 PM

ill be the first to say that it is reliable if done right. such as having the block and head both decked and using new seals, gaskets etc. the people that throw them together in an evening are the ones that say "the ls/vtec is dumb and unreliable" well, what do u expect when u throw it together without doing it properly

Provocateur 11-02-2005 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by raiden571
ill be the first to say that it is reliable if done right. such as having the block and head both decked and using new seals, gaskets etc. the people that throw them together in an evening are the ones that say "the ls/vtec is dumb and unreliable" well, what do u expect when u throw it together without doing it properly

Or if you decide to raise the rev limit to that of a GSR. The LS block can't handle that, so unless some reinforcements are made, yes, it will be unreliable.