Notices

1995 Honda Civic dx killing itself

Old 03-12-2018, 07:10 AM
Hondamn95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Honda Civic dx killing itself

I was letting my stock D15 Civic warm up and it started to miss and then it just shut off and won’t crank back up but when I try to start it it try to hit but won’t crank what could be wrong because I just bought the car
Old 03-15-2018, 09:26 AM
ChrisS

By “not cranking” do you mean starter doesn’t turn the engine?
(Or does the engine turn and fail to fire up?)

If the starter does turn the engine, clean and tighten both battery clamps.

If engine fails to fire, check to see if you have spark.
There are a few causes of no spark: bad coil, bad igniter, bad main relay*, possibly a blown fuse. Coil and igniter are in the distributor, main relay is under the dash board near front door hinge (which side depends on model year)

*I cannot remember if main relay controls the ignition power and fuel pump power.

Take care,
ChrisS
Old 03-30-2018, 09:40 PM
ChrisS

Private visitor reply (3/15/2018) --Note: I don't check notifications on this site very often and cannot reply to visitor replies.
>>It just turns over but it tried to hit but just kills itself and if I try to get it to stay running it will cut off and pop through the exhaust

my guesses:
turn (counterclockwise, if I remember correctly) engine using a socket on crank to TDC (firing) and check Crank and Cam sync (mark TDC mark on crank, Cam pulley marks parallel to head surface with arrow/witness mark pointing up or to correct position)
check the timing with a timing gun
bad coil or ignitor (both in distributor) will cause engine to miss
distributor shaft lost lubrication or its bearings are fried (result: binding up and the timing is hosed)

take care,
ChrisS

Last edited by ChrisS; 03-30-2018 at 09:44 PM. Reason: added engine rotation direction