Notices

head gasket blown in stock civic

Old 03-01-2006, 02:55 PM
davekaro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head gasket blown in stock civic

Well,

It's finally happened. The head gasket in my 1993 Civic LX is officially blown. This leaves me with a few options:

1. Replace the head gasket
2. Do a "mini me" swap and get a new D16Z6 head
3. Swap in a new motor

My questions about each are:

1. I've read about a Honda Service Bulletin 97-047. From a website selling a head gasket set "In cases of leakage, use head gasket 12251-P01-004 along with special head bolt #90005-PM3-004 (10 req'd.) instead of the head gasket in this set and the normal head bolts. Normal replacement (without leakage) should use the head gasket contained in this set along with the normal head bolts (NOT the special head bolts!)." Since mine is a case of leakage, I gave my local Honda dealer a call, and they verified this and recommended I buy the special gasket and head bolts. Do I really need to? Has anyone heard of this? It is much more expensive to go this route.

2. Will the new head leak like mine is now even with a new head gasket? Given the above Honda Service Bulllletin.

3. Are the D16Z6 and D15B SOHC VTEC Longblock(like http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30019) direct bolt-in swaps?

I'm trying to stay pretty cheap, and I'm not that concerned with speed etc. I'd LOVE to swap in a B16A SiR-II - but I'm afraid it's out of my price range...

Thanks for any help!

Dave
Old 03-01-2006, 03:33 PM
b18c1_hatch

i swap out a head gasket. i had a civic that had a blown HG and i sold it. the guy i sold it to spent 25 dollars at auto zone for a new HG and 5 1/2 hours of work and the damn thing runs beautiful and i wish i dident sell it.

so if you want cheap i get a new head gasket and save some money.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

just change the head gasket.. depending on milage, you might want to change your timing belt & water pump while u'r at it.. other than that.. u'r good to go.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:13 PM
davekaro

Ok,

I've decided I'm going to change the head gasket this weekend. I have a question though, should I buy the entire "head gasket set($96)" from autozone or can I get by just fine buying a new head gasket ($25). Lastly, if my head bolts are in good condition, is there any reason I would need to replace those as well? Thanks again!

Dave
Old 03-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Wharbone

Originally Posted by davekaro
Ok,

I've decided I'm going to change the head gasket this weekend. I have a question though, should I buy the entire "head gasket set($96)" from autozone or can I get by just fine buying a new head gasket ($25). Lastly, if my head bolts are in good condition, is there any reason I would need to replace those as well? Thanks again!

Dave
Personally, I'd get an OEM head gasket from honda.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:20 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, go OEM.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:09 PM
DELSOL98GSR

Default ..

Def get new bolts.. The old ones will not keep there tourque again. the threads get streched when u tighten them. spend $30 and get new ones..
Old 03-02-2006, 09:25 PM
90CvcDX
kekeke

wait, so what's wrong with the fel-pro mls gaskets? arent those honda hg's only good for one-time use? well i mean if he aint planning on boost or high power it would be ok i guess... :dunno:
Old 03-03-2006, 05:36 AM
davekaro

Originally Posted by DELSOL98GSR
Def get new bolts.. The old ones will not keep there tourque again. the threads get streched when u tighten them. spend $30 and get new ones..
$30?? I've only seen bolts for $9 a piece times 10 bolts = $90. Where can I get new ones for $30?
Old 03-03-2006, 05:47 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

Originally Posted by DELSOL98GSR
Not True!

Examine the bolts, look for an even thread spacing between each thread.. basicly if u hold the bolt up to the light & look down the edgeds of the bolts, as long as they don't get skinny in the middle of the things, they are perfectly fine. Refer to service manual for beter explaination & pictures of good / bad bolts.

Originally Posted by 90CvcDX
wait, so what's wrong with the fel-pro mls gaskets? arent those honda hg's only good for one-time use? well i mean if he aint planning on boost or high power it would be ok i guess... :dunno:
There is nothing wrong with the fel-pro 3 layer metal head gasket that looks / feels / acts just like the OEM one. I've used the Fel-Pro in a boosted application & had no problems with it. Many people can't get to the stealership as easily as others, weather it be work schedule overlap or distance, the parts store becomes very conveniend for these types of things. The gasket gets a :thumbup: from me.