Notices

2000 Civic EX won't start, possible fuel pump issue?

Old 02-16-2016, 12:04 PM
Funkwheat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Civic EX won't start, possible fuel pump issue?

Hey folks:

Searched around a bit and couldn't find anything directly relating to this issue. My girlfriend's car is a 2000 Civic EX which broke down on the highway the other day. She claims it made a strange sound suddenly and the gas pedal became unresponsive. She pulled over and shut off the car, and it hasn't started since. It cranks, but does not actually start. I had it towed back to my house and have been messing with it since.

My first theory was fuel, so I decided to remove the back seat and test for voltage.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84846[/ATTACH]

I had her sit in the front as I tested for voltage at the brown connector seen in the above picture; I don't seem to get any sort of reading other than a few mV. My understanding is that this connector should have a 12v reading while the vehicle is being cranked. I checked the fuse and also replaced the main relay (next to the glovebox) and the issue persisted. Still no voltage reading at that connector.

My next guess would normally be to try replacing the fuel pump, but that seems almost silly since the pump doesn't seem to even be getting any power.

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: png
shKHc0D.png (381.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-22-2017, 06:27 AM
That_Silver_Hatch

Can you hear the Pump prime when your key is in the #2 possition if no than its you pump!!
Old 05-04-2017, 10:16 AM
ChrisS

Look at:
-the main relay
-coil or ignitor (in the distributor)

If the car was running rough before it occurred, good chance it's the coil (or ignitor).
If the car was hard to start (cranking without firing up especially on hot days), good chance it's the main relay.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:11 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Originally Posted by ChrisS
Look at:
-the main relay
-coil or ignitor (in the distributor)

If the car was running rough before it occurred, good chance it's the coil (or ignitor).
If the car was hard to start (cranking without firing up especially on hot days), good chance it's the main relay.

Agreed. Check the coil or ignitor. (Distributor). If not, it's the main relay. I've been stranded twice because of the coil/ignitor. Usually happens right on the dot at approximately 100k miles.