Notices

i bought a frankenstein 93 civic and im trying to figure out timing issue

Old 11-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Drace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i bought a frankenstein 93 civic and im trying to figure out timing issue

ok so block is d15b2 head/intake/distributor/cam pully are from d15b7 got the car not running set timing and had to move plug wires differently to get to start so forum research i did before said that i start at bottom left distributor in order of 1,3,4,2 clockwise in order for me to have it start i had to start on top left and go 1,3,4,2. car runs for about a minute then turns off. when it turns off it back fires from the intake which tells me timing is off. i have not found any way to see which engine the crank pulley is off of but it has 3 notches together and 1 notch by its self. with this set up do i want to set the timing by the single notch or center of the 3 notches? BTW if i drive the car around it it doesnt die until i let foot off gas.... any idea please fill me in
Old 12-30-2014, 09:19 PM
ChrisS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tricks/info:
-rub white chalk into the marks on the pulley and wipe off the excess
-the three ticks are for timing (center tick of the group of three = dead on)
-the single tick is TDC

Checking the Crank pulley is indexed correctly:
-loosen the lug nuts on front left tire
-put front of car on jack stands
-remove front left tire (so you can easily access the crank shaft pulley bolt; _or_ just turn the steering wheel hard left)
-pull all spark plugs (inspect them)
-get a 1/4 wood dowel and a piece of card board with a v-notch cut in it, and some masking tape
-put the dowel in cylinder #1 (cylinder closest to Crank pulley)
-tape the card board so the v-notch supports the dowel close to vertical
-put the transmission in neutral
(note: I'm going off my experience working on a 1991 CRX Si with a D16A6 engine that engine rotates CCW; I think all D-series engine rotate CCW.)
-use a socket with an extension connected to the crank shaft pulley bolt to rotate the motor counter-clockwise (CCW) until you reach TDC mark on the pulley
-mark the dowel where it meets the cardboard
-continue rotating the motor CCW

Watch the mark on the dowel, it should be below the card board until you come back to TDC again.

if the crank pulley is _not indexed to TDC_, maybe the key that indexes the pulley to the crank shaft is sheared or missing. (unlikely, but possible)
-pull the crack pulley (you'll need a special tool to hold the crank pulley while you remove the crank pulley bolt and when you torque it back in place)
-replace the key

if the crank pulley is indexed correctly to TDC:
-leave the engine at TDC
-pull the valve cover and the cover over the cam shaft sprocket
-look at the index marks on the cam sprocket (see attached image)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84669[/ATTACH]
-the two marks across the diameter should be parallel to the head's top surface, the third mark should point at the index molded into the plastic housing around the cam sprocket; if the 3rd mark is out 180 degrees, just rotate the engine CCW another full turn back to TDC on the crank pulley and check again)

if the marks across the diameter of the cam pulley are _not_ parallel to the top of the head, your timing belt might be off a tooth or two (More likely: which could cause problems with valve timing)
-reindex the cam to the crank

take care,
ChrisS
Attached Images
File Type: png
cam_index.png (43.3 KB, 2 views)