Notices

Faulty PGM-FI Relay

Old 08-13-2013, 02:46 PM
jupider
If it's not one thing...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faulty PGM-FI Relay

Quite some time ago, I found that my '92 VX would oftentimes stall out after starting and running for a few seconds. Eventually, I found out it was the Fuel Pump relay in the main PGM-FI Relay that would not engage properly to engage the fuel pump (like it was stuck open). In any event, I found that a few simple taps on the main relay while cranking the engine got it to close and I was off to the races (figuratively--I don't think this heap would fare well in an actual race.) I've been getting by like this for some time now (I'd say nearly 2-3 years) but lately, I've had to be a bit more "aggressive" with the tapping to get it to stay running and up until a few days ago, that was working out just fine as well. Now, the thing stalls out while driving! I find myself reaching down and smacking the thing going down the road to keep from stalling out; sometimes it takes a couple of good whacks to do it. So we get to today. I basically had to keep smacking it all the way into work this morning. So before I left for home I got my handy-dandy wiring diagrams, took a look at the wires going into the relay, and put a jumper between the supply wire and the wire leading to the fuel pump, essentially bypassing the relay (see photo). I had no problems with stalling on the way home.

Long story short, is this a safe alternative until I can get a replacement relay? (50 bucks is salty, don't know when I can afford one--and I need a new tire and my wife's Civic needs a driveshaft) Are there any negative long-term effects that doing this may cause? I really don't want to burn out my fuel pump or anything, so I really need to know if I should do this or not.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...M-FIjumper.jpg

[Note: Photo is too big to upload to this site, so I used a Photobucket link instead.]