Notices

Engine turns over, no spark

Old 06-18-2013, 05:32 PM
avsfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine turns over, no spark

I'm not usually one to beg for help, but I'm at a loss here. My '97 Civic EX (170k miles) died at a stoplight the other day and hasn't run since.

First a little backstory that may (I hope) be coincidental. Two weekends ago I replaced the clutch (whole kit) and flywheel. While I was at it I replaced the rear main seal and oil pan gasket as they were leaking oil. Everything came apart and went back together fine. Car ran fine for that next week. Obviously the clutch was a little more sensitive than I was used to, but no issues starting or running.

Come last Friday night, I was driving my car after having driven it around normally all day. There might have been a couple times when I thought it was running a little rough as I would decelerate to a stop, but I'm really not sure. It wasn't anything big...at least at the time it didn't seem big. Anyway, stop at a red light and I kill it at green. Go to start it back up and I get the engine to turn, but it won't start. Finally get it towed home so now it's sitting in the driveway where I can check it out. When I first got it home, I turned the key and I got nothing. No click or anything. It was like the battery was completely dead. The next morning I get up and try and it's back to turning over but not starting. So I try to jump it and still nothing. From that point on it will always turn over, but no start and no spark. So let's get into checking everything out right? Here's what I've done:

* Noted that there is no check engine light on.
* I pulled the batter out and had it load tested at the local parts store. I's fine.
* I also had starter checked. Not really sure why as it is obviously turning the engine over, but hey I was (AM) frustrated. It's fine also.
* Cables, connections, fuses all look fine.
* Pulled a plug wire off and used the spark tester that looks like a spark plug on a clamp. No spark.
* Checked the cap and rotor. The cap was ok...rotor looked a little fried, I replaced them both just because they've been on the car for 100k. While I was at it I had my son turn it over with the cap off just to make sure the rotor was turning. It is. Also of note, since replacing the cap/rotor, I've had them off a couple times after trying to start the car. There isn't a mark on them further proving that there is no spark.
* I checked the coil using the resistance test from the manuals. I got 0.50 ohms between A & B terminals. Spec calls for 0.63 to 0.77 (TEC coil). Also I got 16.2 ohms between terminal A and the secondary winding terminal. Spec calls for 12.8 to 19.2 ohms. So the primary was low. I went to the parts store and ohm'd out a brand new coil. I got the exact same readings...so I'm thinking the coil must still be ok.
* I pulled the ignition control module off and took that to two different parts stores to have them check it out. Both said it tests fine.

I thought maybe it's the alternator, because it died while running, but why wouldn't it start up at least for a minute or so until the battery goes dead? Somebody please tell me I'm an idiot and I'm not doing something or not checking something obvious. I'm ready to pull my hair out and/or have the car towed to the dealer to get checked out. I really don't want to put that kind of money into it at this point though...and it's a serious dent to my self esteem to have my car in a service shop bay. Anyone have any other ideas? And no, at this point I haven't checked for fuel because I know I'm not getting spark. Thanks for reading this novel, and thanks in advance for any ideas.