View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 01:03 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It should all be listed in the owner's manual.

Pretty sure it has a chain (so doesn't have a scheduled replacement but should be inspected at 120k) but even the ones w/ belts don't require replacement until 90k.

The MTF should be changed every 30k if not sooner so I'd do that. As for the spark plugs, I think the maintenance schedule for that year would be 90k replacement - factory plugs may be platinum - but wouldn't hurt to replace them early.

edit: If it was my car I'd also change the P/S fluid at those miles, not a requirement but it's nice to know it's got fresh fluid. After having done it several times, I feel like it's better just to remove the fluid in the reservoir w/ a turkey-baster, etc. and refill with new fluid. Doing that at shorter intervals (or several times in a row after a short drive or just running the engine and turning the wheel lock-to-lock) seems just as effective and is less hassle than doing the procedure outlined in the owner's or service manual.
Not that using the outlined method from the manual is hard, but newer models tend to foam up pretty bad unless you keep a constant flow of fluid into the feed line - if you don't do this you need to let the engine idle (or just drive it) for a good while before you can shut it off w/o it foaming out of the reservoir. On the older cars that wasn't really an issue.

Last edited by A-series; 04-25-2009 at 01:11 AM.