View Single Post
Old 04-22-2008, 06:14 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jamned, you have set the bar high for yourself on the engines you're considering swapping in. All the options you laid out have the highest deck height you could try to deal with in such a tiny engine bay. I know from experience that any of the B16s are a tight fit, and really cut down your ground clearance with a JDM 4-1 header.

Of course, you're dealing with a very light platform, so just keep in mind that it doesn't take extreme power to make a very quick car.

I've got a fair amount of work done to my EW1 block with EW3 head ['85 DX block, '85 Si head], so about your comment about not having useful engine bay parts in your parts car, I can tell you the EW2 is an HF, and you're right, you don't want to use the block, head or pretty much anything from the long block is out for performance. You could swap out the 5th gear ratio from the HF tranny into your current car if you want to drop down your highway cruise RPM by quite a bit, though the best thing you could find yourself is an '85 Si complete transmission, it's the only one of the 1st gens with a higher FD ratio, which gives you a bit more torque off the line, and a better overall "feel" on the gear spacing.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea. You definately have a lot of learning and research to do being new to 1st Gens

Welcome to the board.