View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 06:19 PM
rslitman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Integra CD Player PE-0/PE-O Display

Summary:

1. What does the PE-0 usually signify?

2. Is this something that can be fixed for a reasonable price?

3. If this is a sign that my original equipment (not aftermarket) CD player is dying or already dead, is it worth replacing or spending what could be several hundred dollars in a car as old as this one?

Background information:

I've had my current Integra since 1998. It has 113,000 miles and runs very well. I've held onto this car for so long partly because I missed the window of opportunity that ended last year to buy an entry-level Acura that runs on regular gas. Even though my car runs great, some of the little things not related to the actual running of the car are starting to fail.

I'm having trouble with the CD player. I get a display of PE-0 or PE-O, which the manual just says is an error. At first, this just happened last winter on cold days with precipitation (snow, freezing rain), and it just happened three times. The first of these three times, the radio also "shorted-out", but the other two times, it worked okay. All three times, several hours later, the CD player was fine.

Over the summer, the CD player had no problems, although when I had the car into the dealer for a window control problem and 105,000-mile checkup, I had them look at this. They couldn't find anything. This was July already, and the last time I had had the problem was in March. So I thought that whatever it was, it had cleared up.

We had a very warm fall in this part of the country. The first cold, damp morning we had, the PE-0 showed up again. And since it's gotten cold for good, it's shown up every day, including dry days. I suspect it's temperature-related. The radio has worked okay each time, and the cassette player has also worked well. I've taken to digging out my old cassettes and bringing them with me in case the CD player isn't working, and I can't find anything of interest on the radio.

Most days, I'll get PE-0 when I start out in the morning, but it's fine when I get into my car later in the day, or even after an hour or so of driving. I suspect it's temperature-related and only occurs when the temperature is below a certain point. Also, substituting a different CD will sometimes work. The first day this fall that I had the problem, it rejected the "South Pacific" original cast CD but took the one for "West Side Story". Friday, it rejected the "Grease" soundtrack CD but played the one for "Hello Dolly". (I guess it likes Barbra Streisand more than Olivia Newton John!)

There's a thread here at:

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...highlight=PE-0

in which the person had this come up on hot days or in situations in which the car gets warm from the heater, while my problem has just occurred on cold days and tends to clear up as the temperature gets higher.

Thanks for any help any of you can give me on this.