Notices

I know this question is frequebntly-asked, including by me!!

Old 08-10-2007, 05:27 PM
ghetto94integra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know this question is frequebntly-asked, including by me!!

How come the Si is not available with an automatic?? :madr: :madr: :madr: :madr: :madr:
Most 4-door buyers will want an automatic

even if they had to put a little-bit larger engine, maybe 2.2L, with a lower redline (Ford did something like this in their Taurus SHO)

Mazda came up with an automatic that can handle 7500 rpm for their RX-8 automatic

Also, I'm not Canadian, but think this is funny: :canada:
Old 08-11-2007, 10:24 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

I've moved your post because the purpose of a FAQ is generally for repair issues, not product planning. :eh:

Not to piss in your wheaties, but the last thing the Si needs is a automatic transmission. Honda clutches are very light and the shift action is a dream. IMO, fitting an automatic trans would be an abomination.

And don't get me started on the last generation SHO. It was a nose-heavy pig that was hardly any faster than a GSR sedan in stock trim. Also, everything that Ford built in that car was shit and Yamaha had a few problems with their quality control as well.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 08-11-2007, 06:59 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slightly larger engine, automatic? get a TSX.

of course they could act like the big 3 and build a car for everyone. but they don't have to. they don't wish to spread themselves thin.

Theres an auto RX-8... good for the RX-8, there is no other option there. Theres and automatic civic 4 dr, and the TSX, and the accord.

the SI is a sport compact sedan, most of the people looking for one will be looking for the manual, not the automatic, thats sort of the point.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:02 AM
boltuprite

Becuase an automatic transmission in an Si would just be so wrong.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Brew

I wish more cars came with stick. I just picked up a new SI but before that I was looking at Accord coupes with the I4 and 5 speed, they are hard to find. There is just something I like about a manual trans. I guess it would be different if I drove everyday in bumper to bumper but I don't

I'm glad it's not an option is the SI that 6speed trans is sweet...
Old 08-14-2007, 11:46 AM
ghetto94integra

Default thanks for the responses

sorry for posting the question in the wrong category

Also, the TSX is $8000 more (too expensive)
the Accord is too big (and also more expensive)

Also, I was not referring to the last SHO with the V8; I meant the second-generation (around 94)

Unfortunately the roads I drive on are very unfriendly to sticks; one time some stupid kid couldn't drive it, stalled, rolled back and totaled my car! I'm fortunate they didn't say it was my fault. By the way, he was driving an older Si (93) and I had that 94 SHO automatic. So I guess you can understand why someone would want an automatic.

I like five-speeds (well I guess now 6 speeds), but that incident has traumatized me for life!

Remember, all automatics can be shifted manually, but stick-shifts CANNOT be shifted automatically!! Sometimes my Ghetto 94 Integra's (automatic) transmission is ghetto and I have to do this.

Perhaps maybe they could offer a twin-clutch transmission? (VW DSG)
Honda wouldn't lose any sales at all (they could still offer the 6-speed); they would at least double their sales

Well at least the WRX has an automatic available; I may consider that
Old 08-14-2007, 03:08 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghetto94integra
sorry for posting the question in the wrong category

Also, the TSX is $8000 more (too expensive)
the Accord is too big (and also more expensive)

Also, I was not referring to the last SHO with the V8; I meant the second-generation (around 94)

Unfortunately the roads I drive on are very unfriendly to sticks; one time some stupid kid couldn't drive it, stalled, rolled back and totaled my car! I'm fortunate they didn't say it was my fault. By the way, he was driving an older Si (93) and I had that 94 SHO automatic. So I guess you can understand why someone would want an automatic.

I like five-speeds (well I guess now 6 speeds), but that incident has traumatized me for life!

Remember, all automatics can be shifted manually, but stick-shifts CANNOT be shifted automatically!! Sometimes my Ghetto 94 Integra's (automatic) transmission is ghetto and I have to do this.

Perhaps maybe they could offer a twin-clutch transmission? (VW DSG)
Honda wouldn't lose any sales at all (they could still offer the 6-speed); they would at least double their sales

Well at least the WRX has an automatic available; I may consider that
:eh:

Your arguments are fatally flawed by the fact that you just don't drive stick.

Automatics can not be driven ANYTHING like a manual. The idea behind stick shift is that the driver is controlling the car fully. DSG's are okay, but they can get messy in the turns sometimes not allowing down shifts, Manumatics further are annoying because many don't respond near quick enough, or are very faithful to actually shifting (some will still only allow you to select the top gear, meaning you can not force an upshift to occur)

If you drive a manual for more than a few days you will start to realize how second nature shifting becomes. It really becomes as easy as telling your feet to walk from one side of a room to the other. Of course the first time it will take some thought but after a few months you've just got it.

Anyone who stalls and rolls back into another person is just a) way WAY too tired/high/drunk b) retarded c) hasn't been driving stick for more than 20 minutes, or has absolutely no brakes.

The only LOGICAL reasons someone might desirably want an auto: severe daily traffic, bad leg/arm, they are not worried about realistic performance.

I just... go drive a freaking manual for a while and you'll understand
Old 10-16-2007, 10:42 AM
ghetto94integra

Default They could sell it as an Acura

Maybe if they sold it as an Acura it could work. In Canada they don't even get the new Si sedan AT ALL--they have to pay TWICE AS MUCH for an Acura CSX Type-S!!! [I don't think it's available with an auto up there either, but...]

Maybe they could sell the CSX down here, and offer the Type-S with an automatic (the 6-speed could still be available). The regular CSX has the previous Si's engine and is available with an automatic.

The price difference isn't as much of an issue as it appears because of naturally higher car prices in Canada (yes, even now that the Canadian dollar is worth more than a US-dollar!) [The Si coupe sells for $26000 and the CSX-S sells for $34000]

If the CSX-S sold in the USA for $25000 (it would have to undercut the TSX, which is $37000 in CA) it would sell pretty well. THAT car could have an automatic available.

Does that sound like a good compromise?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:44 AM
ghetto94integra

oh one more thing.. it DOESN'T have those ugly taillights in the civic!
Old 11-04-2007, 08:17 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

They don't choose not to sell any model as manual-only because the auto can't handle the power. If anything, it's the other way around.

A manual that is setup for the I4 variant of a model won't necessarily hold up to the torque of the V6 variant. The same goes for the automatics, but it ends up being cheaper to make the necessary "tweaks" to the auto than the manual. At least when they expect more people to purchase the auto version of that trim level/engine configuration anyway.