Notices

Don't park in angled parking spots part II

Old 03-31-2007, 05:29 PM
jerseyhondagirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't park in angled parking spots part II

I went to post an update on the thread I started and I find it closed. Sorry but I see no good reason for it to have been closed.

The update is this..I started checking the front bumpers of this newly designed Civic whenever I'm walking through a parking lot and I can assure you the problem is not driver error. It is poor design. Start counting them yourself (all the cracked bumpers out there)and you'll see.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:24 PM
silvic00

Originally Posted by jerseyhondagirl
I went to post an update on the thread I started and I find it closed. Sorry but I see no good reason for it to have been closed.

The update is this..I started checking the front bumpers of this newly designed Civic whenever I'm walking through a parking lot and I can assure you the problem is not driver error. It is poor design. Start counting them yourself (all the cracked bumpers out there)and you'll see.
How is it not driver error, you or they obviously hit something, granted honda might have opted out for a cheaper kind of abs plastic to cut costs but they had to be tested at some point for some impact, granted im sure they didnt go around hitting parking curbs in this test, by hitting a parking curb your putting alot of stress on the plastic in an unsupported place and well study physics or common knowledge/sense tells you what happens next
Old 04-02-2007, 04:01 PM
jerseyhondagirl

"How is it not driver error.."

I'm not sure why it is you don't get it. It is driver error so to speak but what is the root cause of that? Poor design. Without being able to see ANY part of the hood there is no way to judge how close one is too a curb.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:09 AM
boltuprite

Well after spending $$$ at the body shop to get mine fixed. I am really careful now. Be aware though, that they can repair most cracks without having to replace the entire bumber cover.

However I totally agree with jerseygirl. The Honda does have a very very low front end on it and there is definitely not much clearance. Even at my office where there are no parking blocks in the front of spaces, but there is a small curb. The majority of the cars park with their noses over this small curb as there is plenty of clearance. I don't as the Honda almost rubs on the curb.

Just beware this car has a very low front bumper and you should not pull right up to curbs or parking blocks

You actually see this on a lot of cars where custom front spoilers and air dams have been fitted on. You''ll see cracked paint. pieces chipped out of them etc.

By the way, the plastic is a polyurethane. It is designed to flex and will tearn if caught from below. (That's what mine did as it opened up a 8" rip from the bottom going upward.

Last edited by boltuprite; 04-03-2007 at 04:17 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:15 AM
boltuprite

here's a tip though. If you can't actually see the front end of your car frome behind the wheel. at least know how long it is.

Simply mesaure the distance from the base of your windshield to the front bumber with a tape measure. Make a mental note of it (Should be around 4 feet or so).

Then when you park, know that you have 4 feet in front of you. You should be able to judge that distance accordingly. Besides the Honda is a small car so you don't have to pull right up
Old 04-03-2007, 04:25 AM
silvic00

hmmm...or you could back into the spot to avoid hitting the front bumper, but be careful you still could hit something h:
Old 04-03-2007, 06:59 AM
boltuprite

yep, backing in is the way to go, but again you have to be aware of just how long your car is.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:21 AM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Originally Posted by silvic00
hmmm...or you could back into the spot to avoid hitting the front bumper, but be careful you still could hit something h:
So what would be a cheaper repair when damaged, a front bumper, or the exhaust/muffler? :chuckles:
Old 04-03-2007, 11:11 AM
silvic00

Originally Posted by randomtask77
So what would be a cheaper repair when damaged, a front bumper, or the exhaust/muffler? :chuckles:

Or even the rear bumper, could end up getting fixed eventually h:
Old 04-04-2007, 04:17 AM
boltuprite

back end is not an issue with regards to curbs or parking blocks. There is plenty of clearance.