Notices

2007 Honda Civic Si sedan

Old 11-20-2006, 09:33 PM
vassil3427

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mugenfreak
i think a auto would be gay too...at least a triptronic tranny...and it cant override and shift before or at redline...should just bounce off redline when its in manual mode until you shift
The Prelude triptronics do that h:
Old 11-20-2006, 09:50 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 18secFerio
and thats what the ex civic with the optional automatic is for.

if you want a performance car, you get a performance tranny. try buying a sti, a zo6, or an evo with an automatic.

as an owner of serveral honda auto's ('90 accord ex, '96 civic lx, '00 accord lx v6, '02 civic ex), I can tell you they're the last thing you'd want in a performance car.
the Si is short of a performance car, yes it is very sporty and very minimalistic, but it's not revolutionary--

the Si is at heart a economical, peppy, and fun car. If I were to compare it on a performance chart to any of the models you listed it would most likely be more in the range of a WRX than anything else, at which point, you are offered an automatic.

honestly guys, 200 horse is not something to go wild over anymore--- and I know it might be hard to swallow, but automatics arent the enemy.

to stay a step beyond the competition and to become a leader again, i feel honda should release the Si with an automatic. smoke em' if you got em'
Old 11-20-2006, 09:51 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by vassil3427
The Prelude triptronics do that h:
werd, but at some point we would like to upshift without having to turn the car off h:
Old 11-21-2006, 12:17 AM
Misa
Pic Whore

Originally Posted by sherwood
honestly guys, 200 horse is not something to go wild over anymore--- and I know it might be hard to swallow, but automatics arent the enemy.

to stay a step beyond the competition and to become a leader again, i feel honda should release the Si with an automatic. smoke em' if you got em'
agree.

my 8 yr old car has 200hp :uhhok:
Old 11-21-2006, 06:58 AM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

Originally Posted by sherwood
the Si is short of a performance car, yes it is very sporty and very minimalistic, but it's not revolutionary--

the Si is at heart a economical, peppy, and fun car. If I were to compare it on a performance chart to any of the models you listed it would most likely be more in the range of a WRX than anything else, at which point, you are offered an automatic.

compared to the ex/lx models, the si is a performance car. there's no denying that. look at honda's lineup, and thats the car that fills the gap in that price range, with the fit sport model below it and the s2000 above it (and the accord v6s somewhere between the two).

consider the history of the si. sure, here in the states its been a hatchback more often than not, but the same formula remains on all incarnations: high-reving, great handling balance, manual transmission.

read any major automotive publication, and the two manual transmissions I always hear them rave about are made by either BMW or Honda.

consider the major automatic recalls that have plauged honda the past 6 years or so, starting with the accord v6s and going through most of the acura lineup.

if you want an automatic, get a tsx. if you want a fun car, get the si sedan.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:40 AM
shady visions

if i were to have my choice between a Honda Civic SI, the generation I would choose is the 99-00.

Inexpensive, lightweight, with some safety features, nice suspension, proven engine, and plenty of existing aftermarket support.

however, I believe the 2002-05 SIs are a waste of a car. I like almost everything about the 06/07 SI Coupe, and for only 70 lbs more and matching numbers, the sedan does not sound too bad..

And I think honda is still manufacturing them as manuals because of the success they have had with their resale value in older cars (i.e. 90's-99, etc). More people buy manuals to build them up versus automatics. So, in about 6-10 years, when these cars are more available, and less expensive, and people start to build them up as project cars, the manual option is going to be more useful than the automatic. Why cut down manual production for the small % that may want an automatic transmission. This is why the standard EX Coupe/Sedan exists with the automatic transmission. The SI is performance-focused.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:09 AM
ErichPryde

automatics might not be "the enemy," but at this point in my life I simply cannot stand to drive one. I went from an automatic to an 06 si, and I'm loving it. I also don't care if I can't beat a GTO in the 1/4 mile. big deal.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:04 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

i just don't see the point at not having an automatic option when it's viable and a possibility.

i'm not saying making the SI an auto, but i am saying at least offer the engine with an auto in another trim (a la VW jetta GLS/2.0T)
Old 11-23-2006, 06:22 AM
Mugenfreak
Boost Hungry!

200hp isnt a big deal but out of a 2 liter 4 cylinder is a big deal...honda is still the king of small displacement/high output motors they just need to swallow their pride and step into the world of forced induction...even mugen has their own supercharger now and they've always been about n/a power so why cant honda jump in the boost game? pride? i dunno but they need boost...honestly i think its some kind of unsaid agreement with the aftermarket companies that honda wont have a factory boosted car cuz that would definately affect after market suppliers to a certain extent
Old 11-23-2006, 09:44 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by Mugenfreak
200hp isnt a big deal but out of a 2 liter 4 cylinder is a big deal...honda is still the king of small displacement/high output motors they just need to swallow their pride and step into the world of forced induction...even mugen has their own supercharger now and they've always been about n/a power so why cant honda jump in the boost game? pride? i dunno but they need boost...honestly i think its some kind of unsaid agreement with the aftermarket companies that honda wont have a factory boosted car cuz that would definately affect after market suppliers to a certain extent
honda has put a k-series turbo in the new RDX

don't quote me on this but it's a k24 with a smaller bore coming out to 2.3 liters (k23) it uses a turbocharger to get to get to 250ish horsepower, i'm just too lazy to look it up.

and if innovation serves the next TSX will probably have the same engine, to make it more competitive

buyers don't see 200hp N/A, they see 200hp. they dont care where it comes from just that it's there

and if there is someone shoping for a smaller sedan with 200 horse and an automatic transmission (which alot of people are looking for now coming off of their SUV's) they would easily overlook honda.

granted that this is what the TSX is for, but not everyoned needs bluetooth, and not everyone needs leather seats. in my mind it's just not smart to cut off a section of the market when it is an easy solution.

there no R&D, theres no anything, release 2000 cars witht he auto transmission and see how it does. i'd suspect it'd do much better than you'd want it to.

you guys just need to stop hating on autos... some people just don't want to have to bother with shifting, and it doesnt mean that they have to sacrifice power.