Notices

SRI or K&N replacement filter? 06 si

Old 09-03-2006, 03:38 PM
AppleSauseSi
Critical S.O.B.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRI or K&N replacement filter? 06 si

im trying to decide if a SRI is worth the extra 150+ dollars over the K&N OEM replacement filter.

I dont want a CAI because ive heard it causes throttle lag.

I have seen gains of up to 11hp with the SRI (fujita & K&N are the brands i am concidering, ive read injen doesnt fit) which makes the SRI very tempting and worth the price; but if i can get similar gains with an OEM replacement id like to save that 150 bucks.

I also think the OEM replacement would be quieter than the SRI which, to me, is appealing.

Is there any information on the HP gains for the K&N OEM replacement? will the SRI increase throttle response significantly more than the K&N replacement? and finally, any personal testamonies about their air intake system?

Last edited by AppleSauseSi; 09-03-2006 at 03:38 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-03-2006, 03:50 PM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

I have an SRI on the RSX-s, and the only time I experience throttle lag is on really hot days, 90* plus. Even then it's not so bad. There's a lot of open space on the side of the engine where the filter ends up, drawing air directly up from the road.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ...."WOW! What a ride!!!!!"

LUNCH with THEOLDMAN...On a break for now...
Old 09-03-2006, 04:01 PM
AppleSauseSi
Critical S.O.B.

Im not too concerned with lag on an SRI, the reason i mentioned the lag is because the 06 si's MAF sensor has trouble with the turbulance caused by the CAI (according to some people on 8thcivic and clubsi). I just want to know if an K&N factory replacement will perform as well as a SRI.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:53 AM
Nirvanaspartan

Have you broken in your car yet? I'd say at least wait till 3,000 miles till you change anything.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:32 PM
AppleSauseSi
Critical S.O.B.

yes
Old 09-20-2006, 03:10 AM
HatchVX
Driving a Turbo 2L Terror

U will have probs with the MAF if u use a cheap brand of intake, the More expensive ones do research in order to have the right air flow over the MAF.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:17 PM
AppleSauseSi
Critical S.O.B.

^^^thank you, i understand the basics, the thing im trying to get at is will the K&N OEM replacement filter provide a reasonable power gain? i have seen no dyno numbers on a replacement filter. if it will only "improve" gas mileage i dont think its worth it, especially if combined with a performance header, high flow cat, and exhaust.
If the SRI will make significantly more power than i would prefer the SRI..
im not a dumb fuck im not going to buy a shit ebay intake, or anything else for that matter...

please, i dont want comments like "the SRI is louder than the CAI riceboy" or "CAI give you more power, i got the AEM it rockz VROOOMMMM!! lol!!!1"

Last edited by AppleSauseSi; 09-20-2006 at 02:19 PM. Reason: clairity
Old 09-20-2006, 03:48 PM
HatchVX
Driving a Turbo 2L Terror

The Stock SI intake is pretty good from the factory. I talked to one of the guys who was on the team who designed it, and He said that it was pretty free flowing intake for the start. So i guess if u want some bling under the hood u can go with the SRI, But i would just do a Drop in. Just my $.02
Old 09-25-2006, 03:19 PM
ErichPryde

Default SRI or K&N replacement filter? 06 si

I'm going to go with the short ram for my 06 si, definitely. I currently have a K&N drop in filter, and I haven't noticed any significant power output- I'm sure I'm getting a small increase, maybe a hp or two. however, I will say that my last several tanks of gas have gone from an average mileage of 26 to 27.5, more or less- since the K&N drop in was added. I haven't changed my driving habits, either.
I'm having trouble deciding upon whether or not to go with K&N or f5, both look nice- the f5 doesn't have the heat shield, but it seems to put out .8 more horsepower. I compared the dyno sheets pretty carefully, the major differences are that the K&N is beating the factory curve around 3000 RPM whereas the f5 doesn't start beating it until almost 5000. if you're racing, this wouldn't matter, though, as you're going to be 5000+ anyway.
how big a deal is "heat soak?" if you're sitting at idle, how much power, if any, would a filter without a heat shield lose? if anyone has a good answer, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by ErichPryde; 09-25-2006 at 03:29 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 09-25-2006, 08:33 PM
AppleSauseSi
Critical S.O.B.

^^^^ Thanks for the help, welcome to HAN. ive heard good reviews either way, IMO an intake is an intake, get the fujita (f5) because its cheaper. im not 100% about the heat soak but i would assume they would both be affected equally, the heat shield seems like a gimic to me. i doubt you would lose that much power to heat soak and it would all cool off soon after you open up the TB