Notices

Air Conditioning Problem

Old 06-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Chris Klein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning Problem

ive got 64k on my '04 tsx (no extended warranty) and the a/c stopped blowing cold. my mechanic said a bolt slowly slices off causing certain parts to come loose, and damaged the entire unit.

it will cost $1,000 to replace compression unit (probably closer to $1,500 at an acura dealer). apparently this is a frequent problem in some acura models and the honda crv.

acura customer care doesnt seem to think its a widespread problem in the tsx, and doesnt want to assist me in handling the matter.

anyone else have this problem?
Old 06-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Grifter

i dont know if its a frequent issue
Originally Posted by PACman
'04 TSX with 54,000miles. Yesterday while commuting home with the A/C on, I heard a clunking noise in the engine bay. The air coming out of the vents became warmer and warmer. The car was running okay except for no A/C. I got home and found the clutch set had broken off. Crap!! :ugh:
Well, I got an appt this morning at the dealer. I ended up getting the A/C compressor and condensor replaced. Here's the saddest part - $1800!! :whyme:
Freakin 4,000 miles over warantee.

Replaced parts were compressor ($485), clutch set ($192.95), coil set, solenoid ($91.58), condenser (377.15), freon ($56) for 16 units, labor ($485).

So, anybody with an '04 had this problem? I searched and found that sauceman had something.

Hope you all have a great week-end. I need complimentary lap dances.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Chris Klein

thats exactly what happened w/ mine

thanks for the heads up, i guess $1,072 isnt so bad if others paid $1800

but at the same time, ive owned 6 honda's and never had a repair like this to make.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Grifter

yeah its the first ive heard of such a problem with honda
Old 07-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Proteu5

Default I'm a victim too!

My compressor finally gave out on me after 82k miles. Damn! I noticed it when I went to recharge the system when I noticed that it wasn't blowing cold air anymore. After going though just about the whole can I didn't notice a change in the temp. I look down and see a big puddle. The refrigerant was leaking right out of the compressor. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a big chunk off the actual compressor housing missing. Kind of like it literally just blew up! I've owned several hondas and worked on many and have yet to come across this. Many of my mechanic friends couldn't believe it either. So what to do. I am not going to pay for a brand new compressor. I'm thinking about getting rid of the car in about a year or two so I'm just gonna be patient and find a used one. Of all the times it had to happen...summer time in nothern va. ARRRRGGHHH!
Old 07-13-2008, 04:36 PM
CaliAccord

Lots and lots of 04's are having this problem now. That's why some people are selling their 04's, to get rid of it before the a/c goes out on them.

Check out tsxclub.com and tsx.acurazine.com for threads about the a/c problem. There's even a thread that shows receipts of how much they paid. One new member over there works at a dealership, and he said to ask if the dealer will do a goodwill repair for you (you need to ask for it, they won't offer it directly). The dealerships are noticing the trend, but Acura hasn't issued anything official as of yet.

Remember, the 04 was the first TSX in America....so it will have some issues being the first model year...
Old 07-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there any way to see the physical damage on the outside?

Anything that can be done as preventative measure? A friend of mine has a TSX and don't want her to have to deal with this.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net