Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Honda brakes

Old 07-24-2006, 10:13 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda brakes

on a disc front / drum rear.

Whats the recommendations? I had axxis ultimates on OEM rotors on my miata that I liked very much. I see Mike runs AEMs on Brembo (no probs w brembo, just werent avaialble for the yata)

so now i have an 89 rex in DIRE need of brakes and im in DIRE need of a race so time is of the outmoust!

I'd appreciate your feedback, and any sources you can point me at.

btw, does anyone make some lighter drums for the rear or is that an STS/2 no-no?

and as far as rotors, slotted, drilled, or just light blanks? I understand andy hollis gets blanks and drills the s*** outta them. but then this is my daily driver...
Old 07-25-2006, 06:00 AM
pomansouth

DO NOT run slotted or drilled rotors, there is no point unless you are running open track ALOT. They will chew through brakes and crack on you... I suggest carbotech brakes, good stuff for a great price. Talk to Dan at www.carbotecheng.com and he will get you fixed up...carbotech is what our timetrial car runs with blank rotors... get the bobcats, I run them everyday and couldnt have asked for a better brake, and get their rotors too, they are great for cheaper than brembos...
Old 07-25-2006, 11:04 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

What's the car going to be used for? Autocross or track days?

I would recommend Brembo Blanks and Hawk HP+ pads. Awesome stopping power and the pads can handle alot of heat. Also don't forget about the fluid and lines. I used Motul 600 which never faded on me. I had Valvoline Synpowe brake fluid and it boiled at a track day.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:30 AM
pomansouth

I like super blue ate, probably about the best fluid I have ever used/had experience with...its like 15 a quart but worth every penny. Ford brake fluid is pretty decent as well.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer

I would recommend Brembo Blanks and Hawk HP+ pads. Awesome stopping power and the pads can handle alot of heat. Also don't forget about the fluid and lines. I used Motul 600 which never faded on me. I had Valvoline Synpowe brake fluid and it boiled at a track day.
sts2 every weekend and daily driver 2hrs a day
Old 07-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Originally Posted by pomansouth
I like super blue ate, probably about the best fluid I have ever used/had experience with...its like 15 a quart but worth every penny. Ford brake fluid is pretty decent as well.
motul goes in all my race cars, but i appreciate your suggestion.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:09 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer

Do you have a source for Hawks or Brembos that you would recommend?

I believe we run Hawk Blues on the spec Miata, and I trust them, they are a good brake...but then how fast am I going to eat through them. I know my spec eats rotors like 2 sets a season. We used to swap brakes on site when it was a daily driver.

I thought i read that you ran AEM on your sts civic?

Are there weight savings that outweigh (pun) the benefit of a slotted rotor to gain by running true blanks?

Last edited by Fujiwara Takumi; 07-25-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:08 PM
DakarM

i second HP+

and the weight savings is ounces if that
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:13 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

You might not like Hawk HP+ for the street. THey dust alot and squeal so bad. But they stop SO AWESOME!

You could use Hawk HPS but on my 1991 Civic SI believe it or not I used AEM pads since the car is so light. Worked for all my events last year if you saw my winnings People couldn't believe I was using AEM pads.

With the lightness of the car you do not need much stopping power. Actually TOO much can be bad as you lock up the tires alot. They car HAD Hawk HP+ pads on them and they were too touchy for the 1991 Civic Si.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

well i will start with them, if i dont like them i can toss em. right now the ones i have are just trash, almost had 3 accidents today in traffic.

i see tire rack sells them, and i got a source at "national fleet parts" a few bucks cheaper than tirerack. any other recommendations?

and how do the carbotech compare to the hawk?